Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A better shaft seal behind clutch...

A better shaft seal behind clutch...

Here is the diagram of the output shaft & seal;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Updated Shaft Seal.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	1657

Diagram #5 is the seal that leaks, with the new, updated (non-leaking?) new seal, part number 24 218 541 803.

More than $30? For something that they should have known better about and installed from the factory? Right.

Use the stated dimensions that follow the part number, 40 x 72 x 7.6 mm, and match it up at a bearing house in VITON for half the money, in an essentially indestructible material.

Typical neoprene (cloroprene) seals are good to about 250 degrees F, Viton (flourocarbon type A) is good to 400 degrees F. With all the clutch slippage heat, the OEM seals WILL FAIL. Viton seals are a one-and-done fix.

You'll know if they are Viton by the color, which is brown...unless it is a counterfeit OEM Chinese seal...

Hi Skutorr,

Many thanks for the info! I am sure it will come in useful for those who are wondering which is the one to switch out, at least with me! LOL!

Seal check

I checked my CVT housing for oil residue due to an upcoming Canada trip. I thought if there was oil showing, I would replace the seal and belt before I go. What I found was a bone dry very clean housing.I was surprised by the low volume of belt dust at about 18k miles. The belt showed no signs of failure, most important, there were no threads hanging out, (check the inside surface with an inspection mirror), and with the lack of residue and no slippage, I deemed it serviceable, and put it back together. I'll check it again in the fall.
    I did find the clutch shaft a little rusty on the end where it goes into the housing bearing, and cleaned this up with a little corrosion protector to avoid it causing a problem for future disassembly. I suspect this corrosion was caused by proximity to the incoming cooling air (moisture) around it. I have a 2013 Sport.

Where in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
    I checked my CVT housing for oil residue due to an upcoming Canada trip. I thought if there was oil showing, I would replace the seal and belt before I go. What I found was a bone dry very clean housing.I was surprised by the low volume of belt dust at about 18k miles. The belt showed no signs of failure, most important, there were no threads hanging out, (check the inside surface with an inspection mirror), and with the lack of residue and no slippage, I deemed it serviceable, and put it back together. I'll check it again in the fall.
    I did find the clutch shaft a little rusty on the end where it goes into the housing bearing, and cleaned this up with a little corrosion protector to avoid it causing a problem for future disassembly. I suspect this corrosion was caused by proximity to the incoming cooling air (moisture) around it. I have a 2013 Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin J Monteith View Post
    Where in Canada?
    I am going to the Gaspe' peninsula in July , with a couple days in PEI on my way back.

That will be an awesome trip. Love both areas. Not sure if you have been up there before but The Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia is a top 10 drive/ride in the world. If you have not been there before try squeeze a couple days out of the trip to do it. Am sure Justscootin would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
    I am going to the Gaspe' peninsula in July , with a couple days in PEI on my way back.

Well here's what mine looked like earlier today. Have an appt with the dealer on Thursday and hopefully use @skutorr insight to affect a good repair. Is the new BMW seal better than the original or should I pursue the Vitol substitution?

Name:	IMG_9903 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	2058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9904 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	2059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9905 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	2060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9906 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	2061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9907 (Medium).JPG 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	2062

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Well here's what mine looked like earlier today. Have an appt with the dealer on Thursday and hopefully use @skutorr insight to affect a good repair. Is the new BMW seal better than the original or should I pursue the Vitol substitution?

Name:	IMG_9903 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	2058Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9904 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	2059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9905 (Medium).JPG 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	2060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9906 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	2061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9907 (Medium).JPG 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	2062
    That's not pretty.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

IF the replacement BMW seal is BROWN, it will be made of VITON and be fine to use. If it's black, it's the OLD neoprene seal which is, as you see, CRAP...

Quote Originally Posted by Skutorr View Post
    IF the replacement BMW seal is BROWN, it will be made of VITON and be fine to use. If it's black, it's the OLD neoprene seal which is, as you see, CRAP...
    Got it, so to replacement OEM should be brown, similar to the one at the engine output shaft?