Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifespan of the CVT belt

I have a 2013 GT with 36,000 miles on it. At 26,000 miles the dealer did the big service. Replaced the rollers on the 'clutch' which were on backwards ( I was charged for parts but no labor on the entire service since it was the first time they had done a scooter service). They said the belt looked fine, the drive chain was replaced due to a tight spot in the chain. Supposedly the valves were fine. Most of my riding is rural and I don't have the city driving 'stop and go'. The dealer really doesn't have a clue about scooters because they don't sell many, and no one rides them enough to need service beyond oil changes. I wouldn't buy another one, or BMW for that matter. I need to stop by our local big city Suzuki dealer (the owner is the chief cook and bottle washer and mechanic) and ask him about the Burgman belt changes. I could rebuild my old Harley EVO for the price a major service on this scooter. I bough it thinking, gee, scooter, simple, cheap, comfortable. Like the bike, too bad about the Ferrari maintenance.

Supposedly, the Burgman belt is a lifetime part. Browsing the Burgman discussion forums, though, that's a pipe dream. It is also a MAJOR job to replace (because the engineers didn't think it would ever have to be replaced). Caveat Emptor.
    Jaime A. Cruz
    Nassau Wings Motorcycle Club
    http://www.nassauwings.org
    http://www.freddysrun.org

When I changed my belt at 13,000 miles it showed no real signs of wear nor any signs of imminent failure. Unfortunately I forgot to use a set of caliper to measure the new belt vs. the old belt to see how much wear was present at that mileage. At some point this year I'll probably but a replacement to have on hand for future changes and I'll have to measure and compare. Based on the belt condition I probably wouldn't have changed it, but when you buy it at $112 and you spend that much time getting at it, you might as well go ahead as it isn't much more time, you spend more time getting at it. That is one of the reasons for some of the high maintenance and repair costs - getting at the parts to be changed and replaced. Lots of panels and plastic to remove to get at things and it not usually just one panel off, it becomes multiple panels and are stacked or one needs to be removed to get another off. So much is packed into a streamlined body and hidden under these. When I've seen my buddy do work on his Sports Touring bike its much the same, lots of stuff to remove to do the work and get at the parts, this all takes time and patience.

When I purchased the BMW I was very worried about the maintenance costs seeing posts about dealer work and with limited information about true required maintenance and intervals. Initially the BMW seemed so much more complex and newer in design that my previous Honda's and I was resigned to the fact that I would probably need to take it into the dealer for maintenance and repairs. The 12K service was not something I looked forward to and I figured I might have to start a savings plan to be ready. However, after lots of research online (this forum and others), purchase of the repair CD, some You Tube videos, I have been able to do all the required maintenance on my own and I have found the maintenance costs to be quite reasonable, about on par with my previous 2 Honda scooters. You do need a collection of non-speacialized tools - torx bits and wrenches for sure, a torque wrench and a couple of specialized motorcycle/BMW tools (variator holder, axle tool). Otherwise you don't have to be some expert mechanic, just have some mechanical aptitude and the ability to follow diagrams and steps in a manual. Going at it slowly and carefully and many should be able to do much of this maintenance on their own. At 13K my total maintenance costs are only just above $1000 and about 1/2 of this is the 2 sets of tires I have replaced. We won't talk about the add-ons and farkle (aux lights, mounts, topcase, side cases, bags, etc.) that is probably more now that the maintenance, although some of that can be moved over to a new bike when the time comes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMW Maintenance.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	2188
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

FWIW, the C650GT hasn't been any more maintenance intensive than my old Yamaha TMAX. In some respects it is actually cheaper because the TMAX had a 4,000 mile interval for the engine and a 3,000 mile interval for oil changes. The C650GT is pretty much every 6,000 miles so it goes into the shop less often for maintenance than the TMAX did.
    Jaime A. Cruz
    Nassau Wings Motorcycle Club
    http://www.nassauwings.org
    http://www.freddysrun.org