Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distance after fuel light

Distance after fuel light

So I finally got around to checking how far you can go after fuel light comes on. This has been a discussion since this forum began 4 years ago but no one has answered. I got my fuel canister that had about half a litre in it and tossed under the seat. Off I went, I was already close to empty as I had already gone 54km since the light came on. I wasn't planning on going far (about 25km) I got 9km so it totaled out 63km (39m). I coasted to the side of the road poured the gas I had under the seat and then the search for gas.

I am going to do this again someday and compare results

Just take this as a guideline as everyone will have a different experience
    A bad day on the C650 GT Scooter is better than any day at work
    Keep your right hand cranked

Good stuff. Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see how your next "fuel light check" compares.

I've been going into the high 20's (miles) after the light and riding conservatively. Knowing 39 miles is probably a hard cut off is very helpful for perspective. Thank you.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

That would be right on with my calculations based upon BMW's published data for reserve capacity and my average gas mileage to-date, I calculated 40.4 miles.

Based upon my worse and best gas mileage the reserve distance would be 36 miles - 42 miles, of course there could be some variance due to pump accuracy and how close I fill to same point each time. I try and fill tank so gas is just visible above nozzle opening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	442823.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	1753

To not risk the chance that I do run out of gas without extra onboard, I have always used 30miles as my range when light comes on.

Quote Originally Posted by justscootin View Post
    So I finally got around to checking how far you can go after fuel light comes on. This has been a discussion since this forum began 4 years ago but no one has answered. I got my fuel canister that had about half a litre in it and tossed under the seat. Off I went, I was already close to empty as I had already gone 54km since the light came on. I wasn't planning on going far (about 25km) I got 9km so it totaled out 63km (39m). I coasted to the side of the road poured the gas I had under the seat and then the search for gas.

I am going to do this again someday and compare results

Just take this as a guideline as everyone will have a different experience
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Another thing is that I typically ride 300km (about 187 miles) before the fuel light
    A bad day on the C650 GT Scooter is better than any day at work
    Keep your right hand cranked

It's easy to check the mileage you get on a tank. Just ride until it gets real quiet. Then read the odometer.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

I prefer NOT knowing. I find that a GOOD incentive to find a gas station as quickly as possible instead of riding along with false confidence.
    Jaime A. Cruz
    Nassau Wings Motorcycle Club
    http://www.nassauwings.org
    http://www.freddysrun.org

I typically get 165 miles until the fuel warming lights comes on and when I tested it 30 miles after that.

Mine came on tonight with 160.7 miles since last fill up. My gas mileage this tank was 50.3MPG. My overall average in 10,500 miles of tracking has been 47.7MPG, so this tank was above my normal. I filled with 3.200 gallons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Being new to this bike I wasn't sure when the low fuel light would come on. Turns out 2 bars on the gas gauge is the point where the light comes on. FWIW, I went 23 miles after the light came on on a bike with 300 miles on it and not yet to its first service.