Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropped my 650GT today.

Dropped my 650GT today.

I dropped my 650GT in my driveway today. Does anyone know an easy way to lift this sucker back on its feet. I have no problem lifting my Goldwing but it seems there is nowhere to grab this thing. Any help would be appreciated.

I just assumed that I'd back up to it, grab hold of the handlebar end, and the rear passenger handle, and lift. If that doesn't work, I'd like to know before I'm in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsheff View Post
    I just assumed that I'd back up to it, grab hold of the handlebar end, and the rear passenger handle, and lift. If that doesn't work, I'd like to know before I'm in the same boat.
    That's the way I have picked up my other bikes but the rear passenger handles are so far back it's hard to get any leverage while trying to grab the handlebar and passenger handle. I had to call my son to help me get it up. Thank goodness I was in my driveway and not out on the road. I was thinking about getting some of those furniture lifting straps to hook on the passenger handle. Of course, the best solution would be for me to not be stupid and stop with the wheel turned all the way to the left.

I have dropped my sport twice, once in a parking lot within the first two weeks of ownership, and once in the driveway, forgot to put the sidestand down. Both times, butt to the bike, grabbed handlebars and passenger handles, eased it up slowly. Heavy, but doable.
    2013 C600 Sport (gone)
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    Ducati Sixty2

Quote Originally Posted by grey.hound View Post
    I have dropped my sport twice, once in a parking lot within the first two weeks of ownership, and once in the driveway, forgot to put the sidestand down. Both times, butt to the bike, grabbed handlebars and passenger handles, eased it up slowly. Heavy, but doable.
    Legs and leverage work. I've seen a smallish women get a full-size Harley back on two wheels.

(Had to edit 'cause it just didn't seem right to say "up".
    Last edited by SteveADV; 10-11-2016 at 06:29 PM.

As I confessed awhile back I too joined the 'dropped the scooter' club. I couldn't quite lift it upright on a hill when the bike fell with the wheels uphill. I needed some help to do the job. I wanted to see how hard it would be to lift the bike on level ground because I never had too much trouble lifting my Goldwing. So I laid my scooter down with some help on the lawn. With near maximum effort I was able to lift it up okay as long as it was down on it's right side. On the left when the side stand isn't holding the brakes it helps a lot to have a piece or cord or bungee cord to tie down the brake lever(s) to prevent the bike from trying to roll a bit. That makes it a lot harder to lift an could cause a good bit of scraping if the scooter was on hard ground. I will say lifting this bike isn't much, if any, easier than the twice as heavy Goldwing/

Hint: Carry a couple lengths of cord just in case.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

Quote Originally Posted by exavid View Post
    ...Hint: Carry a couple lengths of cord just in case.
    Survivorman uses rope as a belt just for those MacGyver moments. I understand they are on sale at Sachs for under a hundred bucks.

Well, if grey.hound is that honest I guess I have to confess. About three years ago I was on a road trip with my brother and we had a 'drop the bike' epidemic. He was riding his BMW R1200 and I had my GL1800. He was the first to go, put his foot down in sand on an intersection and down he went. I helped him lift his bike back up and even kept my mouth shut which was a good move. About an hour later we stopped at a gas/convenience store to get some fuel and a drink. I filled my Goldwing's tank, moved my bike away from the pump and parked it next to the store. I just about got off the bike before it gave me a big push as it fell over to the left side. Yep, left the side stand up. Mind in neutral I guess. All I'm sure of is that I'm so glad I kept my mouth shut when my brother dropped his bike.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

My drops have been slow maneuver related. Trying to learn to do stuff beyond my skill set in one case and a near miss of a puppy while approaching a stop sign was the other. Have never had the no side stand down issue or slipped foot. So I guess they're still out there waiting for me.

I think I posted this link before, and it looks like a good alternative to the backwards lift, although I haven't tried it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO-fW6ZeXuk

I had a Harley a long time ago and found that after "foot slips" a couple of times, that they aren't that hard to get up if they just fall onto the crash bars. If the wheels touch the ground, not bad, if the wheels are off the ground, it will be a harder job to get it up.