Thread: Newbie can't drive on the lawn

Newbie can't drive on the lawn

Still getting used to our C650GT (new, 2016). I have the habit of stopping on the lawn, on the back side of the mail box, to check the mail when I come home. Works fine with my F650 GS, but this new bike won't accelerate on the lawn. Even very gentle throttle, it kicks out. I suspect the stability control thing is working as it thinks it should. But this is way more aggressive then I would want.

I found a thing in the manual that shows how to override the control. I did the hocus pocus thing they wanted, finally got the panel to tell me the control was in override. I took off across the lawn to try it, 50 feet later, it was back to cutting out. I can not determine is the engine is stopping by itself, or if the antilock brakes are making it stop. It does not die completely, but it will lose speed rapidly.

Ideas?

I can't say what's going on there but then I have a '13 and don't ride on the lawn. If you handle the throttle on a hard surface as though it was slippery grass does the same thing happen?
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

no, taking off from a stop light, it hauls ass. I have tried on the lawn, to really open it up. It just bucks quicker.

-d

My Toyota Tacoma has a little button on the dash to override traction control. As long as I hold it, I can spin tires to my hearts content. I think that is what this scooter needs!

I've got a '13 which does not have traction control. However, I've noticed a couple times spinning up in gravel that the engine powered down. If I remember correctly Jamie thought it might be an engine protection "something" kicking in as a result of revving up like that.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

This is happening at a fairly low RPM. It will happen even when I try to take off slow.

Is there fertilizer on the lawn? If so, the GT doesn't like that kind of stuff...On the other hand, the Sport loves that kind of sh*t.

(I hope my post was helpful)
    Last edited by SteveADV; 04-28-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveADV View Post
    Is there fertilizer on the lawn? If so, the GT doesn't like that kind of stuff...On the other hand, the Sport loves that kind of sh*t.

(I hope my post was helpful)
    Well now that answer was just about a bunch of crap!

-Dan