Thread: Innovv K1 motorcycle camera

Innovv K1 motorcycle camera

After several months of reading reviews, watching install and use videos and consideration I finally purchased the Innovv K1 motorcycle camera system. Think of it as a dash cam for your motorcycle/scooter with a front and rear camera.

In the past I usually used a Garmin Virb camera and/or a Sena Tube camera on my helmet to videotape rides and document traffic "incidents" or bad drivers but sometimes the battery would die or the memory car would fill up, or I would just forget to turn the camera on. The real incident that really made up my mind was a aggressive idiot driver in a construction zone - it was wet the road was a mess and I was going at the speed limit for that area and he was right on my tail and at some point honked at me (although there was no where to go) and once I pulled over to let him pass and I was behind him he stopped and started yelling at me about going too slow. I didn't have the camera on and by the time I switched it on and was close enough to read his license plate the battery in my Action camera died. I only learned this when I went home and looked at the video only to find the movie quit just before I was close enough to read the plate #. I've been using a Garmin dash cam in my car and it comes in handy at times, but when I checked with Garmin they said their cameras were not suitable for the vibrations of a motorcycle or similar and they are not weatherproof.

The Innovv K1 gets pretty good reviews and you really get a lot for the money. For less than the cost of most Go Pro cameras you get 2 aluminum housed cameras (front/rear), a DVR recorder that controls the 2 cameras, a GPS receiver/speaker, a remote record button and plenty of cables and mounts to get the units installed on most motorcycles/scooters.The cameras record in HD and are solid and appear well constructed of aluminum slightly bigger than a quarter and maybe an inch thick. The DVR records a constant loop and will save a preset amount of time prior and after when there is an incident/impact or if you press the remote button. Otherwise you can offload the video as long as you don't overwrite it. It records GPS location as well as speed, etc. Took about a week to receive the kit from China, DHL, free shipping, $265 complete. So far customer service has been great updating about shipping and offering assistance with installation.

I haven't installed it yet, but I will post photos and details of how installation goes and how the unit works. Plenty of review videos out on YouTube.

It's been a while since I've had the rear panel off, but if anyone knows an easy way or path to get a cable or 2 from the right side rear panel/underseat area up to the front cowling and battery area, I'm hoping to do so with the minimal amount of disassembly and panel removal. Probably have to dig out my service CD and see what options I have for routing the cable through the tunnel area up to the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	1956Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	1957Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	1958Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	1959
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

It looks like a screen to display video. But would you install that as well so its visible? Perhaps it also is the recorder box. There's enough road rage kooks to convince me to NEVER do anything to escalate no matter how I might feel at the moment. Its not worth it. But like you said, sometimes you can't avoid someone's troubled (and often drug amped) life spilling into yours and there's nothing like video evidence! I'll be curious to see how it works for you.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

As I understand it the screen can display video for playback but it is primarily for setup and working through the menus. I've seen a couple riders put where visible but most put under seat or in compartment where protected from elements.

I never try to escalate a road rage situation but I was hopeful in my situation in driving behind the vehicle after I let him pass I would capture his license plate. Usually what you catch on the camera is pretty passive, like people in cell phones paying no attention to road or blowing through stop signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installation of "dashcam" DVR system mostly completed last night. Need to finish hardwire of power, wires installed but need to wire in relay, using underseat power plug to test for now. Also need to tweak the camera mount in front. DVR box underseat, camera front and back, GPS and speaker in right box and record save button on dash. Everything ended up pretty neat and clean. Will post some video once I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sample of video from camera, not the best quality as I recorded the video being played back on my computer screen as I am still figuring out the software the show both views and GPS information.