Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Cases Revisited and Done

Hard Cases Revisited and Done

Heading out on a 6 day trip around Lake Michigan in about 6 weeks with our Motorcycle "Gang" and since all my buddies have Sport Touring bikes and bikes with hard cases and I see how much easier it is to lock up gear, unpack and pack at hotel, etc, rather than strap on bags on the seat. Been back and forth on the idea of hard side cases and add to that the difficulty in finding any that are still available for the BMW C Series as Givi seems to have discontinued the PL5106 rack, at least here in the USA. I knew Pete's up in Canada had them in the past based on a recommendation from a member and a member purchase last year. Lucky for me, Pete's still had at least one (may be out of stock now) and he shipped for free with item arriving in about 5 days.

I also decided to purchase the SRA5106 Givi Monokey luggage rack to switch to a Givi topbox and just simplify the installation and be able to have one key for all of my hard luggage. I know others have been able to get the Givi pannier rack to work with other luggage racks, but I've done enough modifications previously that don't always go smooth as planned and I just wanted this to work without having to make any modifications or work arounds. Removed my Shad case and plate and my BMW luggage rack (both will be sold) and had the Givi setup installed and done in about 2 hours. Did have to do a little work with hardware to mount my Admore light bar on the new Givi rack and wanted to do without any additional drilling of holes.

I went with the Givi E22 side cases are they are small and thinner than the larger Givi sidecases. Between the external cases and the underseat storage, that's about 150 liters of storage, so I don't think I will need anything bigger and these are much more reasonable than the 33L Givi cases. The E22's seem to be pretty popular for many different uses. Have a Givi V47 case on reorder as the first one I received was damaged in shipping so will be here end of the week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6832.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	1992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6835.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	1993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6838.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	265.1 KB 
ID:	1994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6839.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	1995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6841.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	1996
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

All kinds of good stuff here. They look good and supply that "just a little bit more" that might be needed, especially if traveling 2up.

Looks great! Where are the attachment points on the bike for the PL5106? I might try this myself. TIA
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Lee,

The attachment points are the 2 top bolts of the passenger grab rail near the back; a single point that appears to thread into the frame of the storage compartment under the read fender and; a bolt location for the center stand on the left and the muffler mount on the right. Seems to be pretty solid and the pannier frame rail that runs under the fender links the 2 sides together and creates some opposing force between the 2 sides. Photos below, if you need additional, let me know.

All fits perfectly together with Givi top case rack and would probably work with any top case rack but as others have said, may require some slight modification.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender 3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	2004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6928.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	2005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6930.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	2006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6932.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Looks great! Where are the attachment points on the bike for the PL5106? I might try this myself. TIA

Thank you....now it's back to scouring the internet for a Givi PL5106... maybe I locate one in Europe or the U.K.????

Lee,

Did you check with Pete? email him and see if he can get one maybe

http://www.petes-superbike.com/tubul...6-p-46359.html

http://www.petes-superbike.com/tubul...6-p-46359.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thank you....now it's back to scouring the internet for a Givi PL5106... maybe I locate one in Europe or the U.K.????

Bicyclenut, thank you, I will give them a try. I have been scouring the internet and international eBay sites for one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122612082061

May be other option here, but try Petes first, think I paid $230-240 USD shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bicyclenut, thank you, I will give them a try. I have been scouring the internet and international eBay sites for one.

I did email the seller in France, we'll see what he says.