Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Low speed chugging/slipping???

  1. #1
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    136

    Low speed chugging/slipping???

    This weekend I noticed an unusual chugging/slipping feeling at very low speeds at low RPM's and low speed. We had just completed riding over 300 miles, parked and unloaded gear at our hotel and after C650GT sat for 30 minutes I noticed a feeling of chugging/slipping at low speed 20-30MPH and lower RPM, very light use of throttle. It almost reminded my of an engine misfire, but the feeling was more in drivetrain as the engine felt smooth and no sound like a misfire. It did this for the first mile or less at slow speed and ran like a champ when faster and accelerating at higher RPM's. After that initial problem, it ran like normal. It did the same after sitting for an hour at dinner and went away within a couple blocks of riding.

    Today rode back about 150 miles and no issues at all. Ran fine all the way and ran fine after sitting for an hour before a short 10 mile ride to run an errand.

    About 9500 miles on it so not yet due for service. Isolated for now, so not sure I want to take to dealer if cannot be easily duplicated. Have a 1000 mile trip in less that 30 days, figure I'll do the 12K Service soon after that as will be getting up near that mileage by the end of the trip.

    Anyone experience anything like this?
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    This weekend I noticed an unusual chugging/slipping feeling at very low speeds at low RPM's and low speed. We had just completed riding over 300 miles, parked and unloaded gear at our hotel and after C650GT sat for 30 minutes I noticed a feeling of chugging/slipping at low speed 20-30MPH and lower RPM, very light use of throttle. It almost reminded my of an engine misfire, but the feeling was more in drivetrain as the engine felt smooth and no sound like a misfire. It did this for the first mile or less at slow speed and ran like a champ when faster and accelerating at higher RPM's. After that initial problem, it ran like normal. It did the same after sitting for an hour at dinner and went away within a couple blocks of riding.

    Today rode back about 150 miles and no issues at all. Ran fine all the way and ran fine after sitting for an hour before a short 10 mile ride to run an errand.

    About 9500 miles on it so not yet due for service. Isolated for now, so not sure I want to take to dealer if cannot be easily duplicated. Have a 1000 mile trip in less that 30 days, figure I'll do the 12K Service soon after that as will be getting up near that mileage by the end of the trip.

    Anyone experience anything like this?
    I have intermittently had the same issue. I have not taken it for service for this because it goes away so quickly most of the time it's not present at all. I just put 900 miles on it in the last 2 days, and it didn't happen once.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2016 C650 GT in Custom Ruby Red Metallic CC

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Susanville, California
    Posts
    121
    Do you alll "grab and go" when you initially start the bike to take off? I tend to put my bike on the centerstand, start it up, and then let it warm up bit before I ride, IF the bike hasn't been ridden.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

  4. #4
    I grab and go!

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2016 C650 GT in Custom Ruby Red Metallic CC

  5. #5
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    136
    Usually start and maybe idle enough to put on gloves and shut garage door, so maybe 30 seconds. When this happened should have been warmed up and probably idled for up to a minute as the group all started up and we got the Comm Intercom started on the Sena's.

    Guess I'll just monitor is for now and try and document when it does and look for a pattern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Do you alll "grab and go" when you initially start the bike to take off? I tend to put my bike on the centerstand, start it up, and then let it warm up bit before I ride, IF the bike hasn't been ridden.
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    Usually start and maybe idle enough to put on gloves and shut garage door, so maybe 30 seconds. When this happened should have been warmed up and probably idled for up to a minute as the group all started up and we got the Comm Intercom started on the Sena's.

    Guess I'll just monitor is for now and try and document when it does and look for a pattern.
    For me it doesn't happen often enough to be an issue. But I'll continue to watch for it.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2016 C650 GT in Custom Ruby Red Metallic CC

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Susanville, California
    Posts
    121
    Also, are you guys using any of the fuel additives, e.g. Marvel Mystery Oil or Star Tron?
    "Chance favors the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

  8. #8
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    136
    I've occasionally added some Techron to the tank. I also use premium from top tier stations 99% of time unless in some BFE town and no other options.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    I've occasionally added some Techron to the tank. I also use premium from top tier stations 99% of time unless in some BFE town and no other options.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Same here!

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2016 C650 GT in Custom Ruby Red Metallic CC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •