Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: charge battery trough 12v input socket located in left glove compartment

  1. #1

    charge battery trough 12v input socket located in left glove compartment

    hello everybody, and thanks for your support.
    in winter, sometimes my c650gt remains in the garage for 2 or 3 month (too cold outside to run it). so the idea is: I have one 12v battery charger (black and decker). it comes with standard cigarette lighter connector, than can be easily plug into the 12v connector located in the left glove compartment box. so the question is: can I charge the bike battery trough the 12v connector located in the glove compartment?.
    can I damage some bike circuit, any electronically damage if I plug 12v 2Ampers in the glove 12v socket?
    thanks you in advance,

  2. #2
    to clarify, the idea was taken from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSNk6dAAsE
    I want to avoid to remove the upper right panel to access the real bike battery, and charge it trough the 12v glove box connector. can I do that? thanks again.....

  3. #3
    Hi Claudio, I'm not sure what model year your bike is but this is what I've experienced. Several members here with older models have said that they can charge through the socket in the glove compartment. My bike is a 2015 model and I cannot use that method. Maybe a change in the canbus system, I'm not sure. My dealer had installed a quick disconnect harness that I can get to up under the fairing so that's what I use. If you can install one of these at least you'll only have to remove the panel once.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tender.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	2043

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchvinyl View Post
    Hi Claudio, I'm not sure what model year your bike is but this is what I've experienced. Several members here with older models have said that they can charge through the socket in the glove compartment. My bike is a 2015 model and I cannot use that method. Maybe a change in the canbus system, I'm not sure. My dealer had installed a quick disconnect harness that I can get to up under the fairing so that's what I use. If you can install one of these at least you'll only have to remove the panel once.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tender.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	2043
    my bike is MY2013.

  5. #5
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    143
    Claudio,

    First, I'm not sure what type of charger the Black and Decker charger is, but I would be cautious of using a generic battery charger for extended charging vs an intelligent type battery charger. A typical battery charger will charge at a constant rate and may "cook" the battery and do more damage than good. An intelligent charger uses a microprocessor and monitors the charging and rate to maintain the battery and will alter the charge rate as needed. A regular battery charge will charge until you turn it off at a constant rate.

    This is info from Battery Tender, but you will find the same info elsewhere, so its not just a plug to sell their product.

    http://www.batterytender.com/faq/tec...tions#charging

    As far as removing the side panel to access the battery to add a charging port, it is quite easy to do, only 4 fasteners as I recall and it comes off fairly easily. Good to know how to do it as if you ever need a jump you should do so directly from the battery and this is what you would need to remove. Many dealers install these and you might not even be aware, I went to install one and found there was one installed and hidden tucked up in the fenderwell so the dealer could keep the battery charged. You just need to buy an SAE quick connect wire and plug that can be found on Amazon, auto parts stores or motorcycle shops and typically under $20.

    You can run this wire down under the fender wire tie it up and tuck it up by the coolant hoses when not in use. Or if you are more ambitious you can drill and small hole in the right glove box and place the plug in this location. I actually added a second plug here as you can find SAE to USB connectors to charge phones, etc. or in my case it is available to use for heated gear. As the connector is directly connected to the battery you do not have to worry about causing CANBUS errors and you can run heated gear, etc. without causing other issues.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAEplug.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	2045

    I usually plug mine in anytime I think I won't ride for a couple days to keep the battery fully charged and ready for use. Lead acid/AGM batteries perform better and last longer if they are kept charged and prevented from being significantly discharged frequently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Claudio Javier Rosemffet View Post
    hello everybody, and thanks for your support.
    in winter, sometimes my c650gt remains in the garage for 2 or 3 month (too cold outside to run it). so the idea is: I have one 12v battery charger (black and decker). it comes with standard cigarette lighter connector, than can be easily plug into the 12v connector located in the left glove compartment box. so the question is: can I charge the bike battery trough the 12v connector located in the glove compartment?.
    can I damage some bike circuit, any electronically damage if I plug 12v 2Ampers in the glove 12v socket?
    thanks you in advance,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	2044  
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    wilmington vermont
    Posts
    263
    My suggestion would be get a battery tender junior take the right side panel and install the connector directly to the battery and you could run the other end into the right side cubby. This way you just open the cubby and connect the end from the battery tender and it would be protected from the weather and hidden when you ride. The Battery Tenders come in . 75 amp and 1.25 amp models they are smart units that will charge your batter and put a float charge to maintain the charge with out over charging the battery.
    Last edited by wsteele; 09-15-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    AKA Bill Steele

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wsteele View Post
    My suggestion would be get a battery tender junior take the right side panel and install the connector directly to the battery and you could run the other end into the right side cubby. This way you just open the cubby and connect the end from the battery tender and it would be protected from the weather and hidden when you ride. The Battery Tenders come in . 75 amp and 1.25 amp models they are smart units that will charge your batter and put a float charge to maintain the charge with out over charging the battery.
    I routed my Jr through the nav hole and it doubles as troller power. My battery is 3.5 years old and checked perfect by BMW today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •