Thread: Water in headlight case: problem or acceptable?

Water in headlight case: problem or acceptable?

While riding in cooler temperatures, water builds up in a few areas inside the plastic shield where my headlights are on my 2016 C650GT. The moisture covers maybe 5 or 6 square inches, but doesnít obstruct my view much. The bike is under warranty, but I wanted to see if this moisture is normal or something I should ask to have looked into. Do you have moisture inside your headlights? Would you ask for a warranty repair?

Pics are attached this time! I can't seem to attached them from my mobile phone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7016.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	575.8 KB 
ID:	2145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7017.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	479.9 KB 
ID:	2146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7018.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	678.0 KB 
ID:	2147

Quote Originally Posted by DCScooter View Post
    Pics are attached this time! I can't seem to attached them from my mobile phone.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7016.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	575.8 KB 
ID:	2145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7017.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	479.9 KB 
ID:	2146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7018.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	678.0 KB 
ID:	2147
    In my opinion, moisture / water in the headlight assembly is never a good thing. I'd be concerned with corrosion, and if the headlight would fail on me due to all that water content.

I think it should be looked into, and fixed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The headlight area is not really "sealed"

I'd get a hair dryer - remove both bulbs - and dry it out.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

I had this happen once after riding on a cold foggy day. Some condensation built up on the inside glass/plastic of the lens. I thought there may be water intrusion because of a crack or bad seal and I was going to have checked at next visit to dealer but is disappeared by the next day and I haven't seen it happen again so far after a year. Maybe just need to right conditions for humidity inside lens to condense on the glass.
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by DCScooter View Post
    While riding in cooler temperatures, water builds up in a few areas inside the plastic shield where my headlights are on my 2016 C650GT. The moisture covers maybe 5 or 6 square inches, but doesn’t obstruct my view much. The bike is under warranty, but I wanted to see if this moisture is normal or something I should ask to have looked into. Do you have moisture inside your headlights? Would you ask for a warranty repair?
    To me that's nothing to worry about.
    I live in Florida and often ride in high humidity or wet conditions so I have noticed this many times after a ride when putting the bike away into the garage. It has never concerned me since it always dissipates by the next day.
    2016 C650 GT in Custom Ruby Red Metallic CC

Thanks for your input. The bike is already at the shop to have Both front rotors replaced under warranty, so I sent them these pics. They says itís not correct, and they would check the seals. They agreed that it would lead to shorter lightbulb life from possibility of corrosion. Iíll let you know if they actually do anything about it!

I blew out a bulb already. It just isn't a good look for a premium brand to have condensation in the headlight housings.

The Polish Philips super brite have a 1 year warranty on Amazon.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

BMW says they looked and found no condensation, and the seals all appear to be fine, but they documented it Incase of future problems. I agree that itís not good. :-(