Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing final drive oil/lube

Changing final drive oil/lube

Has anyone replaced the final drive fluid yet? If so what fluid did you use, any hints on the process? I'm the kind that changes fluids way too often and always change to synthetics.

Would like an answer to this as well, can't seem to find that info anywhere. I assume the standard 75w90 gear oil is fine but want to make sure before I have at it. Also, what is the quantity it requires?

I changed mine, and the manual calls for SAF-XO Castrol gear oil which you can get at most auto parts stores.
    500 ML for the swing arm.
    Last edited by Snowdog; 07-14-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Excellent, thanks.

It will be 75w90 synthetic gear oil in Canada get it at Canadian Tire (you may have to ask at the counter) it comes in a gold container

Drain plug on bottom filler on top.

I did mine at 28,000km when I went to stage 2 of the chain adjuster.
    I also noticed that when I drained it out there was 700ml, 200 over there own specs.
    Last edited by justscootin; 07-15-2016 at 04:27 PM.
    A bad day on the C650 GT Scooter is better than any day at work
    Keep your right hand cranked

Funny, that was the exact stuff I got at the CT down the road from me.

To my horror there was maybe 100ml of oil in mine when I opened it up. Turns out I have a leak. Bought the bike used. Runs great, doesn't make any unusual noises so I think I'm ok. Now I have to figure out how to fix the leak before I can ride.

What is leaking? Is it the chain case seam?
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

When they first came out some people did have a chain case leak. I found the bolts a little loose on mine.

I ended up just taking it it to the shop. To my surprise the dealer was really fair and gave me an awesome deal. I purchased the bike a few weeks back on the used market and have never had any dealing with my local BMW dealer. They gave me such excellent service that they have earned my business in the future. The work order says they replaced:
    1x Gasket
    1x O-ring
    1x Sealing Ring
    .5L SAF-XO gear oil

Total for parts and labor ..... $62.23 + taxes.

I was expecting to get soaked and instead they have earned my repeat business and good word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kompact View Post
    I ended up just taking it it to the shop. To my surprise the dealer was really fair and gave me an awesome deal. I purchased the bike a few weeks back on the used market and have never had any dealing with my local BMW dealer. They gave me such excellent service that they have earned my business in the future. The work order says they replaced:
    1x Gasket
    1x O-ring
    1x Sealing Ring
    .5L SAF-XO gear oil

Total for parts and labor ..... $62.23 + taxes.

I was expecting to get soaked and instead they have earned my repeat business and good word of mouth.
    Wow, might be worth a trip to Canada :-). My dealer won't barely look at the bike for <$100 much less do any service. You got a keeper there!!!