Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Has anyone had the bike cut off

Quote Originally Posted by SteveADV View Post
    Ok, here's a basic suggestion....Have you tired an octane booster additive? That worked for me on another bike. Simple. Cheap. Yah never know. If it were to work for a few tanks of gas, you might have the problem figured out.
    When the bike was new it did cut out a few times even after BMW reprogramed the computer, I came to the conclusion that it was the gas I use Startron in all my bikes have not had any more cutting out also when I can I get corn free gas when I'm in the area where it is sold about 20 miles from me, I use premium gas in all of the bikes no problem since.
    AKA Bill Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Renegader View Post
    Wow this is exactly what happens to me. It only happens after just starting it in the morning. It seems to bog at low speeds when trying to accelerate from a stopped position. Once the bike gets "warmed up" though it's not an issue.

Thoughts anyone? Pinched line perhaps? Bad gas? (I only put premium in it). It's strange that it happens only in the morning after first starting it.
    The same thing is happening with my 2017 GT. On cold, she runs like crap (No stalling) for a wee while then once warmed up it's not an issue.

I will mention this to the guys at BMW on my next service.

Cheers,
    Bob

Running too lean (not enough fuel in fuel/air mixture) can cause cold stalling. This should all be controlled by the ECM based upon data it received from various sensors. Would need to study the specific feedback sensors that the BMW uses, but as an example, an engine/coolant temperature sensor is defective and it tells the ECM (computer) the engine is warm when it really is cold it might run too lean and cause stalling. Low fuel pressure, clogged air filter and faulty ignition can also cause stalling. The programming of the ECM can also be a problem as manufacturers can tweak this to correct problems and the programming is likely based upon the correct octane gasoline being used.

I'd also be sure to use quality gasoline, usually top tier gasoline is recommended by manufacturers like BMW. These fuels are consistent in additive packages and quality control. In reality there are only so many refineries in each area so most gasoline comes from these and must meet certain standards (at least in USA) but each brand has additive packages that make their fuel better and more consistent in quality. The off-brands just buy fuel at the lowest price and may use the least amount of additives required. Costco/Sam's/Ma&Pa Gas Station may be selling gasoline that was made by a Shell/Mobil/BP refinery but it is not the same fuel that the branded stations sell.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

"TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Eight of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance."
    Last edited by bicyclenut; 09-12-2017 at 04:30 AM.
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

My 2016 C650GT is back at the dealer as it still occasionally stalls. I have 2365 miles on it. They are supposedly talking to BMW asking for ideas to correct the stalling problem. They have had it a few days again; no progress reported yet.

I sold my 2014 C600 last year and got the 2016 C650 Sport. Twice it stalled on me at low speed. Less than 5kph, while negotiating stop and go traffic. In both instances, engine had already warmed up (traveled at least 5kms). Never happened on the C600. I always carry Euro 5 compliant fuel. Something's not right.