Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a new battery

Pierrel

Need a new battery

Just came back from 3 months holiday in the sun and while I left the battery connected to a trickle charger it no longer has enough power to start the engine on my 600 Sport (lights come on but starter barely turns). Any recommendations on replacement battery other than the one sold by the BMW dealership? Any tips on removing the side panel to get to the battery?

The owners manual tells how to get the panels off to get to the battery. I would clean the battery terminals before I buy a new battery, then try it again. If it doesn't start, charge the battery with the clean terminals and then if it doesn't start, have a friend who is mechanically experienced check your work. If he says get a battery , then get a battery. Or take the battery to an auto parts store that has a load tester and have them check it. Or call the BMW dealer and have them check it. But, the moral of the story is; clean your battery terminals first, then go from there.

Actually the first thing to do; read your owners manual!!

It is easy to get to the battery remove the right hand panel (upper front panel ) the battery is right there. It is a big battery surprise it went dead.
    AKA Bill Steele

Pierrel

Thanks

Thanks Snowdog! Got the battery on a charger in my shop and will see what it does tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
    The owners manual tells how to get the panels off to get to the battery. I would clean the battery terminals before I buy a new battery, then try it again. If it doesn't start, charge the battery with the clean terminals and then if it doesn't start, have a friend who is mechanically experienced check your work. If he says get a battery , then get a battery. Or take the battery to an auto parts store that has a load tester and have them check it. Or call the BMW dealer and have them check it. But, the moral of the story is; clean your battery terminals first, then go from there.

Actually the first thing to do; read your owners manual!!

Clean the posts and terminals with a wire brush, be aggressive.

The battery in my 2013 GT failed after 18 months, showing similar circumstances. The charger indicated that it was charged but it wouldn't support starter load. BMW replaced it under warranty. If your scoot is still under warranty and it fails to recover call your dealer.

Pierrel
    Put the battery on the charger all night, showing full charge in the morning, cleaned the terminals as per Snowdog instructions but it still refused to turn the starter. Will bring to the dealer tomorrow for further check. My bike is still under warranty so hopefully they will replace at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierrel View Post
    Put the battery on the charger all night, showing full charge in the morning, cleaned the terminals as per Snowdog instructions but it still refused to turn the starter. Will bring to the dealer tomorrow for further check. My bike is still under warranty so hopefully they will replace at no charge.
    Haven't thought much about it but if it doesn't start by the battery there's not much else to do. No kick starter. No rolling and popping a clutch.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

I see you are in BC Canada, what is the temperature inside your garage? What weight oil are you using? Warm the bike up and it might start.
    It still might not be the battery. Cold oil might be the cause.

Of course starting with the battery and terminals is always the best first step.