Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: $300 OEM CVT Belts for $100???

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    davidh,

Where did you get the BMW variator brace tool from?

I just ordered the belt from the place in Italy and the rollers from Dr Pulley in Germany last night to have around when I need to change.

Thanks!
    Do you mean the variator holder? I got it from BMW but you could probably get clever and re-create something to hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Do you mean the variator holder? I got it from BMW but you could probably get clever and re-create something to hold it.
    Yes variator holder. Your local BMW dealer? Or online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Thanks David, very helpful.

Yes variator holder. Your local BMW dealer? Or online?
    I got it from my dealer but it's available online too: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...02%20297%20988

I got it from my dealer but it's available online too: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...02%20297%20988
    davidh,

Thanks, put a parts request in at my dealer or may just order online. And thanks for the PDF instructions, may not even need to fire up the CD Manual to do this thanks your info!

davidh,

Thanks, put a parts request in at my dealer or may just order online. And thanks for the PDF instructions, may not even need to fire up the CD Manual to do this thanks your info!
    Anytime. I've done it four (or maybe five) times so I'm pretty familiar with the process :-). Good luck and report back!

Ordered the belt from carpimoto.it on Wednesday 2/7 (Italy) and arrived today 2/9 (USA). $111.54 shipped at current Euro exchange rate. Would have cost me more money AND time to go to dealer.

Decided to go ahead and inspect CVT belt tonight and will likely just replace it and upgrade with Dr Pulley Sliders/Rollers since I have it apart. Iím at about 13K and with trip in mountains in a couple months will just play it safe. All was going well but the BMW engineers decided to place one bolt for CVT cover in very inaccessible place that requires a particular T-30 torx. Needs to be long and small diameter like a screwdriver to fit through a hole they added to the frame crossmember for this purpose. Of course all my torx are 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets so no go until I can get to a store in morning. Ready to open up except for one bolt #%!?$!!!

Decided to go ahead and inspect CVT belt tonight and will likely just replace it and upgrade with Dr Pulley Sliders/Rollers since I have it apart. Iím at about 13K and with trip in mountains in a couple months will just play it safe. All was going well but the BMW engineers decided to place one bolt for CVT cover in very inaccessible place that requires a particular T-30 torx. Needs to be long and small diameter like a screwdriver to fit through a hole they added to the frame crossmember for this purpose. Of course all my torx are 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets so no go until I can get to a store in morning. Ready to open up except for one bolt #%!?$!!!

Yep! And you said you read the PDF!? It's right there at the top of page 3. :-)

And yeah, it's dumb!

Yep! And you said you read the PDF!? It's right there at the top of page 3. :-)

And yeah, it's dumb!
    David,

Yeah I did read the PDF about a month ago (probably should have studied the photos closer) and the BMW Service DVD before I started. I had a folding torx set that I thought would work but these were too short.