Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: $300 OEM CVT Belts for $100???

  1. #31
    Senior Member davidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    davidh,

    Where did you get the BMW variator brace tool from?

    I just ordered the belt from the place in Italy and the rollers from Dr Pulley in Germany last night to have around when I need to change.

    Thanks!
    Do you mean the variator holder? I got it from BMW but you could probably get clever and re-create something to hold it.

  2. #32
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Do you mean the variator holder? I got it from BMW but you could probably get clever and re-create something to hold it.
    Yes variator holder. Your local BMW dealer? Or online?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Do you mean the variator holder? I got it from BMW but you could probably get clever and re-create something to hold it.

    Thanks David, very helpful.

  4. #34
    Senior Member davidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    Yes variator holder. Your local BMW dealer? Or online?
    I got it from my dealer but it's available online too: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...02%20297%20988

  5. #35
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I got it from my dealer but it's available online too: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...02%20297%20988
    davidh,

    Thanks, put a parts request in at my dealer or may just order online. And thanks for the PDF instructions, may not even need to fire up the CD Manual to do this thanks your info!
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  6. #36
    Senior Member davidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    davidh,

    Thanks, put a parts request in at my dealer or may just order online. And thanks for the PDF instructions, may not even need to fire up the CD Manual to do this thanks your info!
    Anytime. I've done it four (or maybe five) times so I'm pretty familiar with the process :-). Good luck and report back!

  7. #37
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    214
    Ordered the belt from carpimoto.it on Wednesday 2/7 (Italy) and arrived today 2/9 (USA). $111.54 shipped at current Euro exchange rate. Would have cost me more money AND time to go to dealer.
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  8. #38
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    214
    Decided to go ahead and inspect CVT belt tonight and will likely just replace it and upgrade with Dr Pulley Sliders/Rollers since I have it apart. Iím at about 13K and with trip in mountains in a couple months will just play it safe. All was going well but the BMW engineers decided to place one bolt for CVT cover in very inaccessible place that requires a particular T-30 torx. Needs to be long and small diameter like a screwdriver to fit through a hole they added to the frame crossmember for this purpose. Of course all my torx are 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets so no go until I can get to a store in morning. Ready to open up except for one bolt #%!?$!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

  9. #39
    Senior Member davidh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    Decided to go ahead and inspect CVT belt tonight and will likely just replace it and upgrade with Dr Pulley Sliders/Rollers since I have it apart. Iím at about 13K and with trip in mountains in a couple months will just play it safe. All was going well but the BMW engineers decided to place one bolt for CVT cover in very inaccessible place that requires a particular T-30 torx. Needs to be long and small diameter like a screwdriver to fit through a hole they added to the frame crossmember for this purpose. Of course all my torx are 1/4 and 3/8 drive sockets so no go until I can get to a store in morning. Ready to open up except for one bolt #%!?$!!!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep! And you said you read the PDF!? It's right there at the top of page 3. :-)

    And yeah, it's dumb!

  10. #40
    Senior Member bicyclenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs, IL
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    Yep! And you said you read the PDF!? It's right there at the top of page 3. :-)

    And yeah, it's dumb!
    David,

    Yeah I did read the PDF about a month ago (probably should have studied the photos closer) and the BMW Service DVD before I started. I had a folding torx set that I thought would work but these were too short.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •