Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Mod?

Update,
    I went in for the first service yesterday, this is with all the mods that i have on now; Rizoma turnsignals rear, s1000rr tail tidy, blue led daytime running lights, cat replaced with srtaight pipe, Power commander V with tune adding fuel (O2 sensor is unplugged). The dealership said nothing, furthermore, when I inspected the checklist for items checked, there was a line saying diagnostic check. I specofically asked "you connected to the ECU and there were no error codes?" the Maintenance manager said "yes, and there were no error." This goes along with what I saw when I unplugged the O2 sensor for the Power commander install.

So, at least with my dealership, they are cool with the mods I have done.
    ATTENTION:
    Anyone reading and offended read without my permission and I request you forget it or send $1 to my BMW-Scooter.com email for use of my comedy material with permission.

Hi Doraemon,
    Would you mind telling me little more about the Power Commander V? Do you feel much difference in performance?
    Thanks in advance

The power commander was really easy to fit. you unplug the O2 sensor and plug the harness in line with both fuel injectors and the throttle position switch. It comes with a fuel curve already made by Dyno jet. If you look at the dyno curves I have put in the gallery, you will see that the A/F ration from BMW stock is very lean on the low rpm side. the PC V curve has a much richer fuel setting. Additionally I have more fueling added and dyno tuned further than dynojet did.
    For the dyno, the scooter was actually having trouble with traction.... while the only confirmed pulls on the dyno were curves at 51whp, there were several 53whp pulls but the curves were not consistant enough to count. That being said, this fall after a few miles on it I will put on a Dr. pully clutch and mallossi variator, it should get more power to the wheel. Even now the increase from 47WHP to 51WHP is nice, but if I get 53WHP, WOW! at 51whp you are already 9% hp increase and getting over 10% would be great. My old Burgman 650 with the same mods wouldn't get past 5%, 43WHP was the most we got out of her.

As far as riding, immediattly I notice that I use less throttle across the board. rollon acceleration 60-80mph seems much more pull. I was actually supprised on a few of the first take offs from a light, I was pulled back in the seat more than I was ready for. For fuel mileage, in stop and go traffic I am close to 45mpg, mostly how I ride......drag racer blood he he. On the highway I am usually riding in traffic, so a little hard to judge, but seems closser to 50+. I will know more on a few more tanks of fuel. I am also taking a 350 mile trip next month which should give a better highway milage report.

Now, considering all that, I also have times when is wants to stall, but with the PC V, it doesn't. Before I had the PC V I had a few times that the stalling issue occured, since then, none. There are some times is sounds like it will, but doesn't...my stalling was on different vendors premium fuel, both with Shell and 76. I think my richer fueling helps but fuelling is not the problem, or else it would not even try.

Hope this gives you the info you are looking for. Oh, it was cheaper to purchase directly from dynojet than on ebay.
    ATTENTION:
    Anyone reading and offended read without my permission and I request you forget it or send $1 to my BMW-Scooter.com email for use of my comedy material with permission.

Oh, and I haven't done any mods to the intake.......yet. that may increase WHP more getting more air in. But I am a little hesitant to cut the horn off, which is what would be required. the air intake horn is only an 1 1/4 opening on a long horn leading to the air filter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0190.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	129
    ATTENTION:

Quote Originally Posted by Doraemon View Post
    The power commander was really easy to fit. you unplug the O2 sensor and plug the harness in line with both fuel injectors and the throttle position switch. It comes with a fuel curve already made by Dyno jet. If you look at the dyno curves I have put in the gallery, you will see that the A/F ration from BMW stock is very lean on the low rpm side. the PC V curve has a much richer fuel setting. Additionally I have more fueling added and dyno tuned further than dynojet did.
    For the dyno, the scooter was actually having trouble with traction.... while the only confirmed pulls on the dyno were curves at 51whp, there were several 53whp pulls but the curves were not consistant enough to count. That being said, this fall after a few miles on it I will put on a Dr. pully clutch and mallossi variator, it should get more power to the wheel. Even now the increase from 47WHP to 51WHP is nice, but if I get 53WHP, WOW! at 51whp you are already 9% hp increase and getting over 10% would be great. My old Burgman 650 with the same mods wouldn't get past 5%, 43WHP was the most we got out of her.

As far as riding, immediattly I notice that I use less throttle across the board. rollon acceleration 60-80mph seems much more pull. I was actually supprised on a few of the first take offs from a light, I was pulled back in the seat more than I was ready for. For fuel mileage, in stop and go traffic I am close to 45mpg, mostly how I ride......drag racer blood he he. On the highway I am usually riding in traffic, so a little hard to judge, but seems closser to 50+. I will know more on a few more tanks of fuel. I am also taking a 350 mile trip next month which should give a better highway milage report.

Now, considering all that, I also have times when is wants to stall, but with the PC V, it doesn't. Before I had the PC V I had a few times that the stalling issue occured, since then, none. There are some times is sounds like it will, but doesn't...my stalling was on different vendors premium fuel, both with Shell and 76. I think my richer fueling helps but fuelling is not the problem, or else it would not even try.

Hope this gives you the info you are looking for. Oh, it was cheaper to purchase directly from dynojet than on ebay.
    Thanks Doraemon,
    This was a great feedback. I will look into purchasing a PC V. Also, do you know where to buy the Dr. Pully clutch and Mallossi variator?

so far only dr pulley has the pulley, 390 euro or so. and malossi from ebay for around 260? euro....
    ATTENTION:

Thanks Doraemon
    I just ordered the Power Commander V with Auto Tune. I found a $100 cheaper price on the PC V and about $70 less on the auto tune than the Dyno Jet website :-)
    Also, what do you recommend? SHould I get the Dr.Pully clutch and Malossi variator or the Dr. Pulley clutch and the Dr. Pulley sliding roll? What is the difference between the complete variator and the sliding rolls/weights? I am new to the scooter transmissions so I am not sure which is which.

Thanks again for your help.

I haven't used either yet myself. that why I started with what I know. I am leaning to the malossi variator as I see all the Italians on the bmw website talking about it more than the Dr. pulley one.
    ATTENTION:

Quote Originally Posted by Doraemon View Post
    I haven't used either yet myself. that why I started with what I know. I am leaning to the malossi variator as I see all the Italians on the bmw website talking about it more than the Dr. pulley one.
    I see. Well, I was just trying to keep the cost down a little but I probably will go with Malossi too.

One more thing, did you remove the exhaust and took it to exhaust shop to cut out the Catalytic converter or he cut and weld it on the bike? I am planning to remove the CC too!

since shops in the US don't carry metric stainless steel, he cut the end off of the cat for the exhaust to attach to. Then wleded in a stainless steel pipe. it cost $220. while it is not as fancy and curved around as the Arrow custom, I got it for less and got it quick. he he Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1825.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1819.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	131
    ATTENTION: