Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Mod?

I just ordered the Arrow full exhaust from Piecesracing - Pieces détachées - Scooter - Maxiscooter - pieces racing for $236 shipped to USA. I think that is a pretty good deal. It is supposed to arrive in 5 to 7 days!

Question for you folks with an aftermarket muffler. Is there much droning while riding?
    I am thinking of getting the akrapovic muffler.

With the stock muffler I don't here much out back, but the engine does produce a somewhat loud gurgling noise that's coming from to front bottom of the scooter, maybe the intake noise I assume?
    With the aftermarket muffler does it drone at cruising speeds like the engine noise does or is it more quiet until you get on it pretty good?

Quote Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
    Question for you folks with an aftermarket muffler. Is there much droning while riding?
    I am thinking of getting the akrapovic muffler.

With the stock muffler I don't here much out back, but the engine does produce a somewhat loud gurgling noise that's coming from to front bottom of the scooter, maybe the intake noise I assume?
    With the aftermarket muffler does it drone at cruising speeds like the engine noise does or is it more quiet until you get on it pretty good?
    I have the Arrow full exhaust and Akrapovic muffler and I have no droning! Just an aggressive deep growl! :-)

is there a gas smell after you guys took the cat out?
    thanks

Yep, I do smell the gas when idling but who cares!! :-)

the stock Idle is very rich, see my Dyno sheet in the gallery. I do not smell it as I have dyno'd the bike to proper A/F ratio and gained 3hp.
    ATTENTION:
    Anyone reading and offended read without my permission and I request you forget it or send $1 to my BMW-Scooter.com email for use of my comedy material with permission.

Was that 3hp with the Akrapovic baffle installed?

I'm looking at the gains on Akrapovic's website and wondering if the advertised gains are with the baffle installed or not.
    For you folks with the Akrapovic and the stock cat, is it much louder without the baffle installed?

I don't want the exhaust to be too loud, but I want it to sound like a motorcycle and not like a farm tractor (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Doraemon View Post
    the stock Idle is very rich, see my Dyno sheet in the gallery. I do not smell it as I have dyno'd the bike to proper A/F ratio and gained 3hp.

From it's appearance it seems that the Akrapovic exhaust is a very simple, bolt-on project. I would not want to modify the stock exhaust at all. It's more of an aesthetic and sound improvement for me. On my other scoots, when installing a Leo Vince, I had to screw around with the O2 sensor and it was a pain.

Without doing anything but pulling off the old can and putting on the new unit - with slightly better than average mechanical savvy and the right tools -- would you say 30 minutes?

Its probably a 10 minute job by looking at the install instruction on Akrapovics website. slightly longer for the 650GT as there are a few more screws to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldscoot View Post
    From it's appearance it seems that the Akrapovic exhaust is a very simple, bolt-on project. I would not want to modify the stock exhaust at all. It's more of an aesthetic and sound improvement for me. On my other scoots, when installing a Leo Vince, I had to screw around with the O2 sensor and it was a pain.

Without doing anything but pulling off the old can and putting on the new unit - with slightly better than average mechanical savvy and the right tools -- would you say 30 minutes?

dyno runs on a burgman 650 with a full yosimura pipe showed that only the very low end is affected by the baffle installed. the biggest difference is at take off noise, is slightly louder without.
    ATTENTION:
    Anyone reading and offended read without my permission and I request you forget it or send $1 to my BMW-Scooter.com email for use of my comedy material with permission.