Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Mod?

Exhaust Mod?

I was thinking about throwing a nice exhaust mod on my C650GT. That's when I get it, of course. What do you guys think about this? Would it be a good/bad idea? If you think it could be a good idea, what are some options I have for this model?

There is the full Arrow exhaust, Pot D'Echappement Collecteur Racing Arrow BMW C600 Sport 12 13 73004MI | eBay
    or the farm boy style: Suppression catalyseur sur scooter BMW C600 Sport - Échappement inoxydable sur-mesure vers Marseille

My local muffler shop quoted me @ $150-200 for the second style of mod. I will go with that, the ebay item is 260 and another 60+ for shipping form europe.
    ATTENTION:
    Anyone reading and offended read without my permission and I request you forget it or send $1 to my BMW-Scooter.com email for use of my comedy material with permission.

Is there anywhere else but eBay for Arrow straight pipe?
    Last edited by vazbro; 06-15-2013 at 11:14 PM.

just adding the Aprakravic you gain 2hp at the wheels and a nice sound. I have documented by dyno testing. if you want more sound and HP then you have to either have a muffler shop cut the Catalytic converter out, or pay arrow for the full exhaust. in europe, probably better to buy the arrow pipe. in US cheaper to cut the cat out. I paid 200 to remove it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1825.jpg 
Views:	1309 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1818.jpg 
Views:	1882 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	124
    ATTENTION:
    Anyone reading and offended read without my permission and I request you forget it or send $1 to my BMW-Scooter.com email for use of my comedy material with permission.

Question for Doraemon... how loud is your exhaust after you removed your cat. was thinking the same..( thinking about getting the GPR ) where are you going for service? did you contact the dealer about warranty issues after the mod? sorry about all the questions

Quote Originally Posted by saekee View Post
    Question for Doraemon... how loud is your exhaust after you removed your cat. was thinking the same..( thinking about getting the GPR ) where are you going for service? did you contact the dealer about warranty issues after the mod? sorry about all the questions
    I would think the warranty would be shot on the engine and the exhaust. The engine needs an exhaust with a specific back pressure which I am sure does not exist anymore more. The valve clearances and timing may also be different

The one thing that you can change is the type of oil you would use as the oil bmw specifies prevents damage to the cataletic converter.

Just my opinion and thoughts. If you do any modifications to the scooter bmw will use any excuse not to warranty the scooter and you are on your own. I say do not do any mods till your warranty is up, or at least close to the end
    A bad day on the C650 GT Scooter is better than any day at work
    Keep your right hand cranked

Quote Originally Posted by justscootin View Post
    I would think the warranty would be shot on the engine and the exhaust. The engine needs an exhaust with a specific back pressure which I am sure does not exist anymore more. The valve clearances and timing may also be different

The one thing that you can change is the type of oil you would use as the oil bmw specifies prevents damage to the cataletic converter.

Just my opinion and thoughts. If you do any modifications to the scooter bmw will use any excuse not to warranty the scooter and you are on your own. I say do not do any mods till your warranty is up, or at least close to the end
    If the engine can't handle my mods to the exhaust, do you really wnat one? better let me take the hit and then you know to dump the bike based on that. I am not worried about the cat or any exhaust mod. further more making the engine breath and exhaust better will not only improve HP but MPG as well. If in fact there was an emmisions O2 sensor that would alarm on poor exhaust, then I would not have removed it. however the O2 sensor is before it and the backpressure for scavanging air ends at the point the cylinder pipes join, anything after that is not essential.

Besides that i have also keep Dyno records of my scooters progression, and have added alot of fuel all along the curve as the BMW stock curve is WAY lean, which is worse for heat and wear than what I have done.

I have never heard of cat friendly oil, if you are getting oil bypassing the rings more than normal this early you got serious problems before you even recieved the scooter.

thanks
    ATTENTION:

Aside form making the exhaust note different, what benefit are you getting, You won't even notice 2 horse power up grade, and the mpg will be very small if any, seems a very expensive add on for not much benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraemon View Post

I have never heard of cat friendly oil, if you are getting oil bypassing the rings more than normal this early you got serious problems before you even recieved the scooter.

thanks
    I called castrol the manufacturer of bmw oils and was talking to them about engine oil versus motorcycle engine oil. The oil off gases (or burns) and that is what will damage the cataletic converter. If you were to measure precisely how much oil you put in the engine and then measure your oil when you drain the oil out you will have less. We cannot do this because we also have to account for the oil filter. That is what they told me, oil has been manufactured for the engine 15W50 MA2 or whatever the engine calls for, bmw if they wanted to could void your warranty if you do not use the specified oil. Why would bmw specify that particular oil in the owners manual Certain oils are for engines with wet clutches versus a dry clutch. When I had my K75 I dropped whatever oil I wanted in it generally a 20W50 synthetic and the engine drove strong for well over 200,000. When my warranty is over in 2 1/2 years I will choose a different oil of my choice based on cost, name brand and grade.
    A bad day on the C650 GT Scooter is better than any day at work
    Keep your right hand cranked

Ok, in fact that is about the phorpourus in the oil. and only would apply to a high mileage vehicles. you lower the phospourus in the oil to reduce burning up the catalytic converter. If you have a vehicle that has a feedback system for you emmisions (O2 sensor after the cat) then you have to be careful. If, like our scooters, it is not so important, and less so since they are so new. This again relates only to the cat and not the engine.
    ATTENTION: