Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pannier frame 650 GT scooter

Bring sandals you can wear in the shower. Call your credit card company if going cross country. Large sandwich bags for waterproof storage. Hide an extra key somewhere on your bike. Pack less....... Then take more out.

Motorcycle trips are the best.

JaimeC

I do agree. The more trips you do, the more you find out what you didn't need to bring and you streamline your packing. My last trip I actually found that I was looking for things to fill the open space I had and I didn't even use my soft panniers considering I usually bring a small boatload of camera and video gear. Unfortunately I did find that I left a small bag of chargers in one of the bags I left at home as I didn't need the space and only discovered this at the hotel on the first night. It had some specialty chargers, like for my Apple Watch and camera batteries that were not readily available at our location and not something I wanted to buy again so I had to use as much as I could before batteries died. Some things you can buy along the way when needed, others are not as easy or practical/expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeC View Post
    FYI: I've been touring for a few decades now on various machines (starting WAYYY back on bicycles) and I've learned a few things. You RARELY use everything you bring; after awhile you learn what to leave behind, and what can be picked up on the road if you do need it. Every trip you make a list of what you ACTUALLY used, what you NEVER used, and what you used infrequently. That second list can be omitted on any future trips, and the third list should be scrutinized carefully.

I've also reduced my packing requirements by having a separate set of "travel clothes" that I only use on motorcycle trips. These are ALL made of quick-drying microfiber. If you get caught in the rain, it dries very quickly and doesn't stay wet and clammy against your skin for long. It also packs up much smaller than traditional clothing and in a pinch you can easily hand wash them in the bathroom sink when you stop for the night and it'll dry overnight and be ready to wear the next morning.

My riding gear is also multi-purpose. I wear either my Aerostich Roadrafter Suit, or my Aerostich Darien Suit. Both are well ventilated and I've worn both comfortably in the hottest weather (just don't get either in BLACK). Although my Roadcrafter 2 suit is not 100% waterproof (rain will eventually work its way past the long zippers) the Darien Suit is as effective as any rainsuit I've ever worn. Supposedly Aerostich's new Roadcrafter R-3 suits are just as waterproof. They're expensive, but they last for YEARS. They'll save you having to pack rainsuits (which can take up a LOT of room).

On trips that last a week or longer, I pack three days worth of clothing plus what I'm wearing. Every third day I stop to do laundry. With my C650GT I've gone on camping trips and I've never needed more than the locking top box and underseat storage.

Always remember: this isn't the same as back-packing. There isn't any need to bring EVERYTHING you need because in a pinch, it is simple enough to hop back on to the scooter and head down to the store to buy what you might've forgotten; no real need to overthink everything.

Have fun!
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Hi Guys

Not computer savy - have photos (jpeg format) how do I get them to stick on here? Been struggling for a while. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Gal View Post
    Hi Guys

Not computer savy - have photos (jpeg format) how do I get them to stick on here? Been struggling for a while. Thx
    You tried the picture icon above the message box, right? I found that sometimes it takes a few seconds for the site to "grab" your picture file. And sometimes it didn't load at all. Also, fwiw, if you want to be sure you don't lose whatever you typed while waiting for the picture(s) to load, don't forget to "Select All" and "Copy".

Yes tried that SteveADV still no luck.

Happy to email or if its possible to PM (if that is an option on this site) the photo's to someone who is able to upload.

Just a test to see if I could upload a picture....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	1802

Well, that worked. Hmmmm, me thinks maybe operator error, Scootergal?? I hope you get it figured out. Would love to see some of your trip pictures.

Hi Scooter Gal,
    from above posts I figure you could reside in Vic? me, too! BTW, did you go to the Adventure Travellers Film Festival in Bright a few weeks ago? Hmmmh ... if so, might have bumped into you. I am about to pick up my 650Sport and loooove to share/compare accessories. I am particularly interested in your luggage solution!
    besides here you can contact me on axelhleoATgmailDOTcom (just to avoid harvesting robots ;-)
    Axel in Australia
    Life is short - so donít be a dick!
    http://axelhleo.wordpress.com

didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Gal View Post
    Hi Scooter Gal,
    The pics won't open for me. Not sure why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk