Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Added under seat power plug

Added under seat power plug

Added power plug under seat this morning, quick and easy modification of about 15-20 minutes. I had previously freed up the ready to install plug from the harness when I had the side Tupperware off for my Admore light installation so it was in place and ready. Just had to drill a 5/8 hole in plastic near tail lamp access door and I was able to carefully work with socket and wire through the access opening. Part was available from BMW, a bit pricey at $38 but easy to do with no splicing.

Just need to clean up the plastic mess from the drilling and figure out what I will use it for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Great pictures. Excellent instruction. Thanks!

Added under seat power plug

bicyclenut, this might seem s stupid question, but .....: is there a 'ready-made' connector (wires or similar) already installed as part of the OEM wire loom??
    I haven't got a suitable Torx-tool here to open up the panel and take a look - yet. My tool set is in Germany on the other beemer. Subsequently, I bought a Torx set over the www but it hasn't arrived yet. So in preparation for wanting to also install a plug under-seat, I wonder if I have to get more 'stuff' to make it happen as well? I've already got a waterproof plug with 'traditional' connectors, but are they suitable or does BMW require a different set up?
    Axel in Australia
    Life is short - so donít be a dick!
    http://axelhleo.wordpress.com

BMW has a connector ready to go with the part I have shown in the photo. All you have to do is remove the cap on it and plug in. Also need to drill the hole in the plastic panel. If I recall the wiring diagram I saw this is a direct power lead that is not a part of the CANBUS although I don't recall the load it can support. I've installed mine but I have yet to use it with the other power outlets I have available already. The plug that is pictured uses the common, but yet not standard BMW power outlet but it is easy enough to find adapters to plug other connectors into it. As I recall there is a hot and ground so you could eliminate the ready to use plug and install another type of plug.

Quote Originally Posted by dukdukman View Post
    bicyclenut, this might seem s stupid question, but .....: is there a 'ready-made' connector (wires or similar) already installed as part of the OEM wire loom??
    I haven't got a suitable Torx-tool here to open up the panel and take a look - yet. My tool set is in Germany on the other beemer. Subsequently, I bought a Torx set over the www but it hasn't arrived yet. So in preparation for wanting to also install a plug under-seat, I wonder if I have to get more 'stuff' to make it happen as well? I've already got a waterproof plug with 'traditional' connectors, but are they suitable or does BMW require a different set up?

bicyclenut, thank you for clarifying and being so specific. Very helpful for me.
    Axel in Australia

Part 1
    Finally done it myself! Thanks for all the help. Found a 2nd hand plug (in very good nick) in Tasmania and installed it today. All went well.
    Following a couple of pix about the process.
    The following pic is the right side view, plastic cover removed for my 2017 Sport. In the middle of the pic is the ready-made connector attached to the frame.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accessory Plug 1.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	1939
    Here is a close up:

Name:	Accessory Plug 2.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	1940
    I now have un-fastened the plug and can see it consists of two parts. 1) the actual plug and 2. a 'blind' mate. I guess it is there to keep all water- and dust proof protected

Name:	Accessory Plug 3.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1941
    Now both parts are pulled apart. The left is the 'blind' mate which I will discard

Name:	Accessory Plug 4.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1942
    Here's a pic of the plastic under-seat storage container. It has a clearly marked spot, to be cut out so the plug can fit through

Name:	Accessory Plug 5.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	1943
    Cut-out completed. I used a 16mm chisel bit on my power-drill and my next step will be to smoothen the edge with a round file

.... but I cannot download any more pictures ??
    Last edited by dukdukman; 05-23-2017 at 02:09 AM.
    Axel in Australia

Part 2
    sorry to be so cumbersome, but I couldn't add any more pictures, so I trust this 'Part 2' shall solve it.

Cut-out completed. I used a 16mm chisel bit on my power-drill and my next step will be to smoothen the edge with a round file
    Attachment 1944
    Here's a view from or towards the other side of the under-seat storage plastic 'box'. So the plug will sit right next to the storage space light
    Attachment 1945
    Back to the other - right - side. Now I have inserted the plug and applied the large counter nut to secure it safely. Indeed I also put in a alu-washer on each side of the plastic to ease any stress and (since I have a German = thorough background) added a rubber washer to avoid any moisture, but more importantly to add to the tension of the counter nut.
    Attachment 1946
    Here's a view from a little further back
    Attachment 1947
    And - finally - here is the finished result
    Attachment 1948

So, overall, the task was straight-forward. I opted for the OEM plug to avoid any trouble with the CAN-Bus system.
    Axel in Australia

Great job and good pics of steps!

Name:	Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign_Emoji.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	1949

I just did this and it took about 20 minutes total, I used an exact knife to cut the outlined location.
    Started riding 10 years ago out of frustration with NYC traffic-Prefer anything with two wheels
    Copenhagen Wheel-Vespa Primavera-Vespa GTS300 Super-BMW C600 Sport

A little pricy, but the other option, which isn't plug and play would require posi-taps on the wires to the OEM pigtail. I assume this is 12 V, only on when the key is switched and not a CANBUS circuit?

Too bad BMW didn't use the turn signal LED's as running lights.
    Last edited by BMWBUD; 04-15-2018 at 07:23 AM.