Thread: Did I miss something? Chain tensioner.

Did I miss something? Chain tensioner.

I was looking through the parts catalog and opened the drawing for the cam chain parts. I thought it might be nice to have an extra chain tensioner for long trips. Guess what?, there is a new tensioner. It's oil operated,( not a bad thing)and requires adding several parts and an oil line. The old spring loaded tensioner isn't even listed. Did anyone hear this was going to happen?

I never saw mention of it. Do you think it was one of the changes made to the 2nd gen models?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    2013 C600 Sport (gone)
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    Ducati Sixty2

Must be!! I guess it can be added to that other "Changes" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
    I was looking through the parts catalog and opened the drawing for the cam chain parts. I thought it might be nice to have an extra chain tensioner for long trips. Guess what?, there is a new tensioner. It's oil operated,( not a bad thing)and requires adding several parts and an oil line. The old spring loaded tensioner isn't even listed. Did anyone hear this was going to happen?
    In Singapore, our C6 scoots were recalled to get this part replaced. They mentioned that the spring tensioner lost its' tension over time, and caused a rattling noise. So now it's a hydraulic based tensioner. Same case for the replacement of the starter switch. So i've had 2 recalls since my ownership of the C600.

P.S. If you can, get the tensioner replaced. It felt as if there was slightly less lag between opening the throttle and the bike picking up. Not sure if this was due to the improved chain tension, or if it was just that my C600 was in a good mood that day..

I dropped my Sport off at the dealer (MAX BMW in Portsmouth NH, they are very good), for the brake line recall and a set of tires. I inquired about the hydraulic
    chain tensioner and if it would could be fitted onto a 2013 Sport. I also suggested that maybe mine should get it as part of the recall. The service writer said he would check. Lets see how I make out.

"brake line recall" ??? could you expand a little please
    Axel in Australia
    Life is short - so donít be a dick!
    http://axelhleo.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by dukdukman View Post
    "brake line recall" ??? could you expand a little please

They replaced front brake lines on mine when in for service a couple weeks ago. I was surprised because at some point when I was looking to purchase one over a year ago I was told they could not sell certain ones until a brake line recall was done and about 6 months later when I purchased mine used I assumed the recall was done.

NHTSA recall 15V738000

BMW of North America has issued a recall through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for certain 2013-2015 model year C 600 Sport and C 650 GT scooters. The affected 600 Sport models were produced from August 2, 2012 to March 31, 2014 while the C 650 GTs were manufactured July 30, 2012 to May 29, 2015. According to the NHTSA release, ďthe front brake hoses on the affected scooters may kink and crack after turning the handlebars to the full left position repeatedly.Ē There are 1953 units potentially affected by the recall.

No accidents have been reported due to this as far as can be determined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Yes, the above recall. I never lock the front wheel, so might never have had a problem.

Great info and detail. Thanks bicyclenut.
    Happy to report that my scoot doesn't fall into the bracket
    Axel in Australia
    Life is short - so donít be a dick!
    http://axelhleo.wordpress.com

A lot of things fail after turning hard left.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT