Thread: Old-school hand protection from the cold.

Old-school hand protection from the cold.

Winter is coming and although I donít use the Ďbike much over winter when I do use it, I go old-school and use lobster-claw gloves inside modified handlebar muffs.

Iím sure other oldies like me will have developed their own winter protection but some of the newbies might find this useful.

Years back I found muffs to be cumbersome and restrictive and so modified them to be soft hand-guards. If you open up the in-board seams of the muffs you still get the protection from the wind but there is no restriction in getting to the various buttons and switches.

The strap in-board of the brake reservoirs still holds the muffs in place and a low-force bungee (shock-cord) stops the lower edge from flapping about. A carbon-fibre rod runs from inside one muff to the other and that holds the muffs off the brake levers even at top speeds.

The photo shows all that more clearly than the words.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Muffs-1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	418.5 KB 
ID:	2094

Looks comfy
    2016 C650 GT in Custom Ruby Red Metallic CC

Yeah, I agree. It looks "customized for comfort". I have never tried soft hand guards, but they look like they would work great, especially with heated grips!