Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whining noise on 2018 650 Sport

Whining noise on 2018 650 Sport

Hey guys - I just acquired a 2018 650 sport, say I'm running a 40-45 mph, and anytime I lower the throttle to where she begins to coast, I get an annoying whining noise from the drive train, is this normal for these bikes or do I have a problem.

Thanks In Advance

Here's a movie I did where you can hear the noise - it starts out as I let off the throttle 40 mph and worst around 30 mph - its not real loud in the video because of the wind but loud on the bike.

Here the link:

http://www.rotory.com/bike/650/whine.mov
    Last edited by Low On Cash; 07-17-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Low On Cash View Post
    Here's a movie I did where you can hear the noise - it starts out as I let off the throttle 40 mph and worst around 30 mph - its not real loud in the video because of the wind but loud on the bike.

Here the link:

http://www.rotory.com/bike/650/whine.mov
    Mine does the same thing.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPort View Post
    Mine does the same thing.
    TwoPort you just made me a happy biker - nothing I hate worse than to bring a new bike in to a dealer for exploratory surgery. I figure it has to do with the CVT -If you look at the graph as it comes down in speed, at 40 mph it hits its lower ratio which is exactly where my noise begins.

How old is your bike - did it do it right from when you got it. Sure be nice to get a few other guys to chime in to confirm they too have the whine.

Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Low On Cash View Post
    TwoPort you just made me a happy biker - nothing I hate worse than to bring a new bike in to a dealer for exploratory surgery. I figure it has to do with the CVT -If you look at the graph as it comes down in speed, at 40 mph it hits its lower ratio which is exactly where my noise begins.
    How old is your bike - did it do it right from when you got it. Sure be nice to get a few other guys to chime in to confirm they too have the whine.
    Thanks Mike
    I've got a 2013 GT and it was from birth. I also think it's the CVT. Never bothered me and sometimes I notice but mostly its now an ignored sound.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

Sounds like a familiar noise. Not sure where from, but I've heard the same, 2014 GT here.
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    Sounds like a familiar noise. Not sure where from, but I've heard the same, 2014 GT here.
    Thanks -cool I'm just going to assume its normal - I have a MP3 and it has a tiny bit of the same noise - not sure if the 650 uses a Kevlar belt - maybe that's whats talking?

Regards - Mike

Ok I'm totally convinced all the 650's have this same noise, the reason I know is; if you go to the BMW site select the 650 GT then click "Start the Engine" I can hear the same whine noise barely in the back ground.

Regards - Mike

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/mo...f-the-c-650-gt

I never noticed it until you guys mentioned it. I actually thought it was just some harmonics when I was a red light and sound was just bouncing off other vehicles.

Some years ago I noticed a whining noise in back, but it turned out to be my pillion passenger...