Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise When Cold

Noise When Cold

I'm just checking to see if my bike is normal. Does anyone else notice a very noticeable clatter sound that changes when you open and close the throttle? It goes away when the bike is warmed up in about 3 or 4 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by rivetts View Post
    I'm just checking to see if my bike is normal. Does anyone else notice a very noticeable clatter sound that changes when you open and close the throttle? It goes away when the bike is warmed up in about 3 or 4 miles.
    My bike has that noise. Sounds just like mechanical tappets in OHV engines in older model cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Davis View Post
    My bike has that noise. Sounds just like mechanical tappets in OHV engines in older model cars.
    So do you think that is normal? I thought something wasn't getting lubed when the oil was cold and once the oil warmed up and thinned out it did?

I dunno. If it is mechanical tappets, they start out with too big a gap and as the engine heats, the gap becomes correct. It doesn't hurt anything during the warmup period, you just run a little rich. But again, I dunno whether or not the engine actually has mechanical tappets.

I talked to a motorhead and he thinks it is the oil. I use the recommended 15x50 from BMW and I changed my oil a couple of weeks ago. The oil I used I had sitting on the shelf for three or four years never opened so I wonder if the oil can go bad and that is why they recommend changing after so many miles or so much time? I think I will change the oil again.

If it is sitting on the shelf, never opened, it is just like new. They recommend oil changes for distance traveled assuming the oil gets hot and hot oil will degrade. They recommend oil changes for time between oil changes for folks who do frequent short trips which means the oil got hot, then cooled off, then got hot; which also degrades the slipperiness .. If you do long distances infrequently, then you don't need to change the oil on time interval and should go to the mileage. Oil doesn't degrade in non use.

Since my bike makes that clatter, I am pretty confident it isn't an oil issue.

If it is sitting on the shelf, never opened, it is just like new. They recommend oil changes for distance traveled assuming the oil gets hot and hot oil will degrade. They recommend oil changes for time between oil changes for folks who do frequent short trips which means the oil got hot, then cooled off, then got hot; which also degrades the slipperiness .. If you do long distances infrequently, then you don't need to change the oil on time interval and should go to the mileage. Oil doesn't degrade in non use.

Since my bike makes that clatter, I am pretty confident it isn't an oil issue.

I had this noise when cold and letting off the throttle. Turned out to be a faulty cam chain tensioner. Dealer fitter a revised hydraulic one and solved the problem.

That could do it...there was even a recall on that in Canada. http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/05/2...ain-tensioner/

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Davis View Post
    That could do it...there was even a recall on that in Canada. http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/05/2...ain-tensioner/
    Yes, this youtube video say it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqO8o2u5LzU
    2017 BMW C 650 GT Black Storm Metallic.