Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the C650 too much machine to serve as a first-ever bike?

Post Is the C650 too much machine to serve as a first-ever bike?

Hi. I'm a new member...and I need everyone's help.

I'm seriously eyeing the C 650 GT...and I've never ridden a motorcycle before. Should I get it as a first bike?

Here's my particulars:

I'm not interested in mountain twisties (though maybe I will be in the future) or sheer speed. All I want is an every day commuter vehicle...eventually I will ride it on the highway. The 400cc scooters don't seem powerful enough to do overtakes at highway speeds...plus, I'm kind of heavy.

I'm 6'...240 lbs...in my 40's. I sat on a C650 GT at a dealership and the weight felt manageable...and my feet were on the ground. I will be taking riding classes soon and am purchasing riding gear. I'm leaning heavily towards a C650 but I dont want to be foolish.

I've done much research and I know that the low COG makes the bike feel much lighter when it's rolling...though I've never ridden one...or ANYTHING with 2 wheels for that matter.

These bikes are so expensive that the thought of laying one down is somewhat stressful. Is a couple of weekend parking lot rides (plus maybe 2 goes at riding school) enough to prevent this? Then maybe wait a month before going on the highway? Then maybe wait another month before attempting to thread traffic?

Is the C650 too much machine for me to be starting out with (at 650cc and 575 lbs. wet), having never ridden a single day in my life? So the question is....would this make a good first bike (or is it too much)? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
    Hi. I'm a new member...and I need everyone's help.

I'm seriously eyeing the C 650 GT...and I've never ridden a motorcycle before. Should I get it as a first bike?

Here's my particulars:

I'm not interested in mountain twisties (though maybe I will be in the future) or sheer speed. All I want is an every day commuter vehicle...eventually I will ride it on the highway. The 400cc scooters don't seem powerful enough to do overtakes at highway speeds...plus, I'm kind of heavy.

I'm 6'...240 lbs...in my 40's. I sat on a C650 GT at a dealership and the weight felt manageable...and my feet were on the ground. I will be taking riding classes soon and am purchasing riding gear. I'm leaning heavily towards a C650 but I dont want to be foolish.

I've done much research and I know that the low COG makes the bike feel much lighter when it's rolling...though I've never ridden one...or ANYTHING with 2 wheels for that matter.

These bikes are so expensive that the thought of laying one down is somewhat stressful. Is a couple of weekend parking lot rides (plus maybe 2 goes at riding school) enough to prevent this? Then maybe wait a month before going on the highway? Then maybe wait another month before attempting to thread traffic?

Is the C650 too much machine for me to be starting out with (at 650cc and 575 lbs. wet), having never ridden a single day in my life? So the question is....would this make a good first bike (or is it too much)? Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!
    Make sure you take the riding course/classes before you buy the bike. and yes you will be ok with the GT. I love mine!
    2017 BMW C 650 GT Black Storm Metallic.

Thanks for the reply, Chiro!

Go for it, at your weight and size the 650 will be perfect. While no machine is perfect, BMW did a nice job putting this together. It’s quick off the line and cruises at highway speeds with ease.

Keep us posted

Mike

Actually for a first bike the 650 is too heavy, I say this as I bought one for my wife several years ago, not her first bike. At 5í6Ē and 125 pounds(according to her) low speed handling wasnít all that great due to top heavy. She later rode some of the Honda wing scooters and found them much more comfortable handling
    I actually think my RT handles low speed better, but thatís just me
    Will say this though on the day she picked up her scooter a older gentleman was at the dealer getting his 600 mile service done on a bike he bought 2 days previous. Had just ridden to Vegas and back from Long Beach ca. Average speed 75+

Thanks for the reply but there is a major difference of a BMW 650 being too much for your wife when compared to the guy asking.

A Good bike for the old lady is a Yamaha Smax 155cc or if you ride two up a Xmax 300cc. They are light weight and nothing touches these bikes for power. Even the 155cc will haul both of us at 60 mph.

Low on cash

Be careful about calling someone OLD this little woman is a expert mountain biker, avid diver, Black diamond skier, and has done wing walking and skydiving and did I say a crack shot
    My take on the Bmw scooters is they are top heavy and the ergonomics are made for a European rider, as iíam 6í1Ē and 240 myself I speak from experience. I new rider should start with something a little lighter and get used to riding, dumping a 650 scooter can get expensive very fast, thatís my 2 cents
    Iíam sure a dealer will sell him whatever he wants

I have owned 3 Suzuki Burgman 650s, One Honda Silverwing, a Kymco Peoples GT 300i, and I'm on my second BMW C650GT. For commuting and long rides the BMW was best for me, but for around town and in city traffic the Kymco was the best. The Kymco is very nimble, I'm 5'10 220 and the bike had plenty of power, just not as much leg room. I would have bought a Suzuki 400 this time around, but I found a deal on a 2015 C650GT that was cheaper than a 2018 Burgman 400. Now I wish I had bought the Burgman. I think the Burgman 400 is a perfect size, power, and comfort. If you lived in MA I would sell you my C650GT. Only 1400 miles on it.

I'm not sure it's a great first bike but here some additional questions:

1. How far is your daily commute and what kind of route is it (country roads, city streets, freeway)?

2. How far are you from a BMW dealer?

3. What are your plans for service? Do most/all yourself, find an independent shop, go to the dealer.

Iíll add to the fire, who here has kept their scooter long enough to face some hefty maintenance expenses? That along with wife not riding it much convinced me to sell it while it was still under warranty