Thread: Too loud exhaust?

Too loud exhaust?

Hello, I have a little unusual question.
    I have had BMW C600 Sport for a few weeks and I love it, however, I started having issues with my ears, kind of ringing feeling. At first, I didnít suspect bike to be the cause as I always wear earplugs, but I got a bit of cold. Over Christmas I didnít ride the bike at all. Ringing went almost completely away. Yesterday I went to top up the tank and put some air in tyres, and just after a 10 minute ride or so the issue is back. I was wearing earplugs, but could feel some resonance caused by the bike noise inside my ear (if you know what I mean).
    So I checked the exhaust for any possible leaks and found that the exhaust silencer wasnít fit properly, there was a little gap where silencer pipe slides over exhaust pipe, maybe 0,5x0,3 mm large. Is it possible that such small gap could cause extensive noise pollution?
    Would you recommend any other silencer that actually reduces the noise well enough? Otherwise I will have to get rid of the bike and buy something else if this thing will keep hurting my ears. I donít want permanent damage!

I'd try sealing the gap in the exhaust that you found first. It's easy to find noisier mufflers for bikes but quieter ones might be hard to find. If you're getting tinnitus through earplugs it's possible there's something else causing your problem. I have tinnitus from pistol and rifle competition in the Army and my gun club along with about 5000 hours of light aircraft operation in Alaska. It ain't fun. I wear hearing aids now but they don't do much with the ringing.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

Hey exadavid. How is your GT doing? Have you had any problem with her?
    2017 BMW C 650 GT Black Storm Metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-p View Post
    Hello, I have a little unusual question.
    I have had BMW C600 Sport for a few weeks and I love it, however, I started having issues with my ears, kind of ringing feeling. At first, I didn’t suspect bike to be the cause as I always wear earplugs, but I got a bit of cold. Over Christmas I didn’t ride the bike at all. Ringing went almost completely away. Yesterday I went to top up the tank and put some air in tyres, and just after a 10 minute ride or so the issue is back. I was wearing earplugs, but could feel some resonance caused by the bike noise inside my ear (if you know what I mean).
    So I checked the exhaust for any possible leaks and found that the exhaust silencer wasn’t fit properly, there was a little gap where silencer pipe slides over exhaust pipe, maybe 0,5x0,3 mm large. Is it possible that such small gap could cause extensive noise pollution?
    Would you recommend any other silencer that actually reduces the noise well enough? Otherwise I will have to get rid of the bike and buy something else if this thing will keep hurting my ears. I don’t want permanent damage!
    What do you wear for a helmet? Full face with shield down will be the quietest, and even at that varies with manufacturer and fit.

Thanks for replies.
    I will see how it will turn out. I sealed the hole and canít see (or hear) any difference whatsoever, so it was probably very minor.
    I have Nolan modular helmet, with shield down and chin protector always mounted.
    Well, I just ordered high quality (aparently) earplugs designed for motorbike racing, so I hope this will help.