Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: New owner - few questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Wiesbaden Germany
    Posts
    12

    New owner - few questions

    Hello all! I just picked up 2017 BMW C650GT with 278 ml. Naturally, I have a few questions. Your wisdom is very much appreciated.

    1. The scooter came with BMW Top Box mounting plate. Of course, BMW Top case would be a preferred choice but the price is astronomical. Is there a good place to get BMW Box, used or new, and not break a bank?
    2. To my biggest surprise, the power outlet in glove box is "cigarette lighter" style and not BMW. I am planning to buy and install a Powerlet battery pigtail to SAE connection for air pump, heated jacket, etc. However, what do I do about my expensive BMW battery charger that I just bought last fall? I can't plug it in.

    That is all for now.

    Thank you all.

  2. #2
    Member Thom Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    71
    You won't find OEM Top box anywhere but from BMW-at least in the USA; you might have better luck where you live. I "insisted" on the OEM when I took delivery of my 2013 C600 and happy that I did since it gives the scoot a really nice look. A 650 might not need the OEM case though since it looks more substantial already, so an aftermarket and larger case might be something to shop for.

  3. #3
    I put a Givi V40 on my GT. Fits one helmet and a bit of stuff. About half the price of the OEM, looks good, mounting plate is solid aluminium, still allows filtering in peak hour traffic. But, it took me a lot of pfaffing around to stop it from rattling like an old taxi. The latch is free floating!

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Member Jetblack528's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Oregon, Portland area
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Hello all! I just picked up 2017 BMW C650GT with 278 ml. Naturally, I have a few questions. Your wisdom is very much appreciated.

    1. The scooter came with BMW Top Box mounting plate. Of course, BMW Top case would be a preferred choice but the price is astronomical. Is there a good place to get BMW Box, used or new, and not break a bank?
    2. To my biggest surprise, the power outlet in glove box is "cigarette lighter" style and not BMW. I am planning to buy and install a Powerlet battery pigtail to SAE connection for air pump, heated jacket, etc. However, what do I do about my expensive BMW battery charger that I just bought last fall? I can't plug it in.

    That is all for now.

    Thank you all.

    For top box options, look at the Shad product line. They are the OEM manufacturer for BMW cases and their prices (at least in the US) are much cheaper than the BMW branded cases. I have one for my 2013 650GT and have been very happy with it.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    34
    If you have the power outlet under the seat it will be the bmw style.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Wiesbaden Germany
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetblack528 View Post
    For top box options, look at the Shad product line. They are the OEM manufacturer for BMW cases and their prices (at least in the US) are much cheaper than the BMW branded cases. I have one for my 2013 650GT and have been very happy with it.
    Will Shad box fit on BMW mounting luggage plate? Do you have any part numbers for Shad?

    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Member Jetblack528's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Oregon, Portland area
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro View Post
    Will Shad box fit on BMW mounting luggage plate? Do you have any part numbers for Shad?

    Thank you.
    You will need a Shad mounting plate that will accept their top cases. Hereís a link to the Shad website.

    https://www.shadusa.com/collections/...ducts/w0cg62st

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    3
    It may seem off topic, but I know I was looking at BMW mounting luggage and gave up on that. I'm sure there are at least a few out there that don't know about other options and they might fit their needs. Trouble is, C650GT has a huge trunk, enough for me 90% of the time. I just hated the thought of dragging it around for those 10% of cases. Taking it off, into garage... ahhh, then usually you need it when you're not near the garage

    At the end I bought something like this: https://www.givi.it/givi-products/so...l-bags/ea114bk

    I fold it under my seat when I don't need it, takes almost no space. Take it out when I need it, it's easily secured with (provided) elastic straps on the back seat (mostly I ride alone). Use shoulder strap to carry it around and it looks like a normal bag. Waterproof.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •