Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping up, sliders, variator, etc, 2nd gen

Well, gotta pull it off, its on bloody bearings.

Doesnt match the instructions..but it came.

With the Dr Pulley sliders, seems the belt flaps around a bit more/louder, and theres a much louder "whirrrr" turbine noise than there was before.
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT

courtesy of +Davidh
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdgh82fbie...v2%29.pdf?dl=0

"BMW C600/C650 Belt and Roller Change Page 3
    3.Removing the CVT cover is also simple until you get to the one bolt buried under a structural member. BMW was kind enough to provide a hole in which T30 screwdriver can be placed to loosen the bolt. You won’t be able to remove it completely but the cover can be removed with it in place. The following two pictures show the bolt and passthrough"

Nah, I studied. That wasnt a problem. Was prepared for that bolt.

Im my 2018, there are bearings in the cover, that sit over the shaft ends of the clutch and variator shafts. Note the threaded holes in the covers that are meant to, on the clutch side, insert a bolt to turn in and push off, and on the variator side I had to use a slide hammer.

With all my best efforts, I could get it to come off perfectly straight, so one bearing stayed in the cover, the other stayed on the clutch side shaft.

I failed to get photos..I suck.

But the bearings in the cover, are a press fit. But are also secured by two small tabs held down with 2 screws. Pulling the cover bent the tabs as again, one bearing came out of the cover, and the other half-way. A vise flattened them again, a press to set em back in, and the cover went on. Its a tight fit to get the shafts in the bearings straight. Gotta gotta go slowly.

Current online photos do not match reality. I do see the cover in that PDF has these holes to assist in removing the cover, but mine was -not- just coming off..so reading and preparing, I was not prepared for having to gather materials to get it apart this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 12.59.43 PM.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	2308

Name:	40367070743_fc296d8af6_z.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	2309
    Last edited by speedtoys; 03-12-2019 at 12:11 PM.
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT

Quote Originally Posted by speedtoys View Post
    Nah, I studied. That wasnt a problem. Was prepared for that bolt.

Im my 2018, there are bearings in the cover, that sit over the shaft ends of the clutch and variator shafts. Note the threaded holes in the covers that are meant to, on the clutch side, insert a bolt to turn in and push off, and on the variator side I had to use a slide hammer.

With all my best efforts, I could get it to come off perfectly straight, so one bearing stayed in the cover, the other stayed on the clutch side shaft.

I failed to get photos..I suck.

But the bearings in the cover, are a press fit. But are also secured by two small tabs held down with 2 screws. Pulling the cover bent the tabs as again, one bearing came out of the cover, and the other half-way. A vise flattened them again, a press to set em back in, and the cover went on. Its a tight fit to get the shafts in the bearings straight. Gotta gotta go slowly.

Current online photos do not match reality. I do see the cover in that PDF has these holes to assist in removing the cover, but mine was -not- just coming off..so reading and preparing, I was not prepared for having to gather materials to get it apart this way.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 12.59.43 PM.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	2308

Name:	40367070743_fc296d8af6_z.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	2309
    Good job! Nice to know some of the changes between the first and second generations.

Steady pressure and whacking the cover with a rubber hammer does the trick...

Going back on..yes, coming off..not for an hour did that do anything, it came SOME off, but that was it.

Do you notice more belt noise at idle, and more spin up and down "whurring"?
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT

Well, something is wrong from this install a few weeks back.

I installed the sliders with the "line" on them pointing up, so you can read the label on them, flat side towards the center of the unit.

Did a few hundred miles this weekend error free, but this am on way to work, a lot of belt slippage...and an angry noise when coasting down..the noise stops when you get near to stopping.
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT

Well, something is wrong from this install a few weeks back.

I installed the sliders with the "line" on them pointing up, so you can read the label on them, flat side towards the center of the unit.

Did a few hundred miles this weekend error free, but this am on way to work, a lot of belt slippage...and an angry noise when coasting down..the noise stops when you get near to stopping.
    Very curious that it started that long after the change. What was the condition of the clutch when you disassembled everything. And remind me -- how many miles on the bike and is it the OEM clutch?

Just hit 800 miles today was brand new
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT

Just hit 800 miles today was brand new
    Sorry for the delay; my phone was being wonky yesterday. It definitely sounds like something with the clutch but you won't know until you look (sorry!).

Does the "angry noise" sound like grinding, rattling, or something else?