Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who does their own oil changes?

Who does their own oil changes?

I just had an oil change done and it came out to $160. I almost fainted and my husband says he will do them from now on.

Anyone here do their own? Is it difficult? I am just wondering what makes it so expensive at the dealership- maybe it can't be done by a regular person or maybe it takes expensive specialized tools? Any input from anyone who has done (or tried to do) their own is appreciated.

Thank you

It’s probably the shop time that is the bulk of the expense. Did you get an itemized receipt?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rFG8ICUic

there are others, as well. bmw will probably void the warranty if you dont use their oil....which is expensive stuff--of course everything bmw breaks my wallet. glad i found out about their expense with a bike...wont buy one of their cars now.

they also charge about 30 bucks to reset the maintenance indicator--which forces you to come back in a year -- that's something you can't really do at home without an expensive piece of electronics. BUT, you can set the date on your calendar so you are never reminded...that'd save 30 bucks anyway.
    Last edited by Thom Davis; 04-10-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add info

Fairly easy job to do, doesnít require any special tools beside a couple of wrenches and an oil filter wrench of the correct size, but there are alternate ways to get filter off.

If you can do an oil change on a car should be easy peasy and you donít even need a lift or to crawl under it.

Only issue might be resetting the maintenance light, would need a GS-911 tool, a helpful BMW dealer or a friend who would let you use their GS-911.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-sco...filter-change/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclenut View Post
    Pre 2016, right?

Why do I always buy transportation that isnt "standard"...nothing I own is easy.
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT

Mine was a 2014, yes, but I don't think oil change is much different and may need newer plug for GS-911, otherwise should be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by speedtoys View Post
    Pre 2016, right?

Why do I always buy transportation that isnt "standard"...nothing I own is easy.
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Just did mine last week. Not a bad job even at 76 years old. But I do cheat I don't do it on the floor but use a HF bike lift. First time I used Mobil 1 synthetic and a KN164 filter. This time I used synthetic oil and filter from my local BMW dealer. The cost wasn't much more this time. Be careful not to drop the oil screen under the side plug. I stick a long screwdriver down the center of the filter and then pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers or a flexible pickup tool. That way you won't drop the screen into the engine. Reinstalling the screen stick the screwdriver through the screen then put the point of the screwdriver into the hole up against the end of it and slide the screen in along the screwdriver and push it back into place until it's seated.

I did help another fellow who dropped his screen into the engine. A flexible pickup up tool that has four small claws the spread out from the end of the spring when the button on the other end did a good job getting hold of the screen and then pulling it up onto a screw driver blade allowing me to pull it out of the engine.

Don't forget to make a metal foil trough to keep the oil from draining all over the lower part of the engine before you undo that side plug. The other two drain points, the filter and the bottom plug are easy. Do not the angle of the oil filter before you unscrew it. It will be hard to thread a new one back on if you try to screw it straight up like one would expect to do.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

Thanks, everyone. I will ask him to read these responses before he does it.

I do have a receipt and it's broken down but I don't have it in front of me. I will take a look at the labor rate/time.

I am learning how expensive a BMW is to maintain!!!

I just did my first oil change at 4,800 miles last week. Quite straightforward. I did have a bit of soft sludge on one of the extra filters. Perhaps from warranty repair to the cam chain tensioner done by the dealer last year.
    As far as re-setting the service reminder: ya'll know that there is a new kid in town, being the MotoScan app, right? For something like $50 you get a lifetime license to use this ever-evolving tool out of Germany, that allows communicating with a wide range of BMW bikes' motor management, dashboard, ABS and so on. I used it last weekend for the first time successfully to re-set the service date and reminder on the C650 and also my G310R that I serviced at the same time.
    The app requires am OBD plug-in dongle - I got the highly versatile and useful-in-its-own-right OBDLinkSX off Amazon for another $50. You can also use that on your car(s) to diagnose problems, read and record data and so on. So for around $100 you get it seems most of what you need, and you don't need to purchase the GS-911.

Quote Originally Posted by tensixmom View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I will ask him to read these responses before he does it.

I do have a receipt and it's broken down but I don't have it in front of me. I will take a look at the labor rate/time.

I am learning how expensive a BMW is to maintain!!!
    I'd second the caution about the tubular screen. My technique is to remove the side plug, insert a long Phillips screw driver into the opening and remove the screen. Re-installation is the same -- using a screwdriver to make sure it's seated basically eliminates the possibility of inserting it askew and dropping it.

And yeah, wrapping foil around the center stand leg is a good idea too.

And make sure you have oil, filter, and the crush washer.

All in all, it's a pretty simple job.