Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: First ride -- 2018 C650GT

  1. #1

    First ride -- 2018 C650GT

    I took the first ride on my new (to me) 2018 C650GT. It has 4.9K miles. First off I need to tell you how I ride and why this post here may not have the info that potential buyers are looking for. I ride for fun and only short rides, rarely more than 60 miles and most times only 40 miles. I'm retired and I ride 4 mornings a week, every week of the year. I never ride in the rain or other inclement weather -- been there, done that, in my 50+ years of riding the 58 motorcycles that I have owned. I currently have 8 bikes, well . . . 7 bikes and a scooter. I'm not going to use this scooter for commuting or for long trips. Also been there, done that, with the long trips.

    The scooter is comfortable and easy to drive. I think that should go without saying, but, well . . . I said it. It feels lighter than it is (575 lbs) due to the very low COG. It effortlessly takes off and cruises easily at 70 mph on the 4-mile stretch of interstate that is part of my loop rides. I got it up to 80 mph once and it felt like there was some left -- not much -- but some. My feeling is that it would do the ton flat out, but not much more. The mirrors are WONDERFUL. They equal the best mirrors of some of my motorcycles. Clear at all speeds -- no vibes. The dials, especially the speedo is easy to see, even in the sun. The handling is very good -- this old rider will not be able to tap it's potential. The suspension absorbs bumps as well as most of the bikes I've had -- not as good as some but also better than some. My 2004 H-D Sportster XL1200R comes to mind as the worst suspension on any motorcycle that I've ever owned. And, of course, the suspension on the C650GT is not as good as a real sport bike.

    I wish it had an engine temp gauge (water temp) instead of the idiot light.

    Here' a pic in front of my house:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BMW-C650GT.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	2347  
    Last edited by Rodan; 04-27-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    2000 BMW K1200RS
    2004 BMW R1100S
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2016 BMW F800GT
    2018 BMW R9T Pure
    2018 BMW C650GT

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    29
    You have waaaay more than 80 on that scooter. Itíll do well over 100. Actually into the teens if you lower the windscreen all the way and duck a little. A friend of mine told me so



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member exavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    747
    Yes indeed it will do better than 80. I've had mine to 116mph measured by GPS (on a closed section of roadway of course). It was pretty well against the wall at that speed. That was with the top box removed and the windscreen fairly low. But I didn't have to duck down. I was wearing my modular helmet which has a lot less buffeting than my usual old Bell 3/4 helmet. Not bad for a heavyish with only 650cc. It will run at 80mph on the freeways all day and still have plenty of oomph if you need it. I find it easier to ride than my last Goldwing because of the variety of leg positions available. Bad knees are what finally made my sell my Last Goldwing and my K1100LT. I've ridden it as much as 450mi in a day and found that while its not a Goldwing it's not bad at all.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by exavid View Post
    Yes indeed it will do better than 80. I've had mine to 116mph measured by GPS (on a closed section of roadway of course). It was pretty well against the wall at that speed. That was with the top box removed and the windscreen fairly low. But I didn't have to duck down. I was wearing my modular helmet which has a lot less buffeting than my usual old Bell 3/4 helmet. Not bad for a heavyish with only 650cc. It will run at 80mph on the freeways all day and still have plenty of oomph if you need it. I find it easier to ride than my last Goldwing because of the variety of leg positions available. Bad knees are what finally made my sell my Last Goldwing and my K1100LT. I've ridden it as much as 450mi in a day and found that while its not a Goldwing it's not bad at all.
    Ah, yes. Another speed nut . 115 with the trunk on, windshield all the way down. They are great alternatives for goldwings. I have the same issue. Just sold my last wing, actually a Valk. Had both knees replaced a couple years ago and I was just to shaky trying to maneuver it around while it wasnít rolling.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    I didn't buy the scooter to go fast. I have 7 motorcycles that are much, much faster. I have one, my 2017 Kawasaki ZX-14R, that will do close to double-ton. It will do the double-ton with an ECU tweak. Besides, I don't ride like that anymore. After 50+ years riding, I think I have beat the odds already -- no need to press the point.
    2000 BMW K1200RS
    2004 BMW R1100S
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2016 BMW F800GT
    2018 BMW R9T Pure
    2018 BMW C650GT

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    29
    So do I (the other bikes), but to be honest, as much as I try, I can't help pushing the scoot to see what she'll do...

  7. #7
    Member Thom Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    75
    Curious that you think the bike has a low COG. My sport sits way too high to suit me--but maybe the GT sits lower. My Harley was my favorite as far as sitting position. Also, the dashboard gages (particularly Speedo) are very difficult to read in sunlight (might be my shades). My C600 is a 2013, so maybe they did make some changes for the better. I've had better bikes than this one. But it does what I need it to do, but wouldn't buy one again.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Davis View Post
    Curious that you think the bike has a low COG. My sport sits way too high to suit me--but maybe the GT sits lower.
    COG (Center of Gravity) -- not seat height. Those are two different things.
    2000 BMW K1200RS
    2004 BMW R1100S
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2016 BMW F800GT
    2018 BMW R9T Pure
    2018 BMW C650GT

  9. #9
    Member Thom Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
    COG (Center of Gravity) -- not seat height. Those are two different things.
    What, you think I"m stupid? The bike COG is at least 5 inches higher than my old hog. Engine is higher up, body is higher up, frame sits higher...no, I'm not an idiot.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Davis View Post
    What, you think I"m stupid? The bike COG is at least 5 inches higher than my old hog. Engine is higher up, body is higher up, frame sits higher...no, I'm not an idiot.
    You're a bit sensitive. Not a good thing on a public forum. But, if you think the motor of the C650GT is higher up than the engine of a H-D big twin, well, maybe . . . .
    Last edited by Rodan; 04-29-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    2000 BMW K1200RS
    2004 BMW R1100S
    2005 BMW K1200S
    2016 BMW F800GT
    2018 BMW R9T Pure
    2018 BMW C650GT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •