Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: New member welcome thread..

Hey Grample, Glad you are with us. Sounds like you favor the CGT over your other scooters. How come the change from the Silver Wings and what are the advantages to the CGT? I mean, you are an experienced scooter dude and probably can provide some insight to others that might be wondering the same thing.

C650GT v Silver-Wing

Quote Originally Posted by SteveADV View Post
    Hey Grample, Glad you are with us. Sounds like you favor the CGT over your other scooters. How come the change from the Silver Wings and what are the advantages to the CGT? I mean, you are an experienced scooter dude and probably can provide some insight to others that might be wondering the same thing.
    Hi SteveADV,

Thanks for the welcome. To be honest I am more just old than experienced. Basically my move from the Honda Silver-Wing to the C650GT is simply down to wanting a change after decades of owning ‘Wings.

The Honda is well sorted, if now somewhat older, technology and is so very reliable that I have never experienced a fault during twentysomething years of ownership. With loads of after-market kit readily available, the weather protection, comfort, on-board storage, and handling up to 75mph are all excellent. The design would have gone on forever had it accommodated larger wheels and a more efficient but slightly larger engine. New it costs less than 70% of the price of a new BMW but it is now a discontinued model.

The C650GT has a bit more power, torque, stability at speed and top-speed than the Honda and it gives noticeably more ‘feel’ at higher speeds. Strangely, the BMW is easier to man-handle even though it is a bit heavier than the ‘Wing and this is useful to me as the BMW seat height (low seat option) is borderline acceptable to my short legs. The BMW seems well sorted for the basics (love the newly modified engine characteristics and its new growl) but it does seem less well sorted for the add-on goodies - the screen travel that loses its reference points rather easily and a Side view Assist that simply does not work for me (and in place of which I would have preferred a couple of slightly-wide-angle secondary mirrors - and I’m working on providing that).

My most urgent task is to source an aftermarket screen that provides the really good weather/wind protection that I am familiar receiving from the Givi venturi one on the Honda.

Grample,

Welcome. I'm a convert from a Silverwing, although not nearly the years of experience as you on one, but a steady mover from scooters from 50cc>150cc>250cc>500cc to my current C650GT. I agree with many of your observations, the Silverwing was a great ride, reliable, semi-easy to work on besides all the tupperware removal, but it was older technology that needed a facelift and updates. For me the wheel size was an issue at highway speeds, especially on rough roads and the BMW has felt stable at any speed I've reached.

The Silverwing does have some excellent online support, information and parts availability as well as lower cost of ownership. The online presence and information is getting better for the BMW as the numbers of owners are growing.

I'm in the same boat with the 29" inseam but I ended up opting for the regular seat with heated option. I was a bit concerned at first, but as I have gained experience it has not really been an issue with one foot down or occasionally both feet on tip toes. I've found that sometimes it just easier to get off and push it around to park or move rather than attempt from the seat. That was a plus for the Silverwing. My only concern would be riding 2-up (wife has no interest anyways) as not sure how easy it would be to do the one foot down trick with 2 riders.

Overall, I was a bit unsure at first when I made the switch, but now I don't think I could ever go back. I only hope we see more aftermarket accessories and parts available in the future. (A nice set of modern hard cases would be my next upgrade...

Stay safe and enjoy the new ride,
    2014 C650GT Quartz Blue Metallic

Hi bicyclenut,

A belated thanks for the welcome.

Unless your 29” is bigger than my 29” (schoolboy snigger) then you are a brave man. I feel as though I am on the edge of safety even with the low seat: maybe too many years of comfort on the ‘wing.

And I couldn’t get my wife on a bike even if she was hog-tied and comatose……… although now that I think about it then maybe that might be fun.

My go-to accessory supplier for the ‘wing was always Givi but apart from the tail rack and top box they seem to have completely abandoned the BMW scooters and I couldn’t source their at-one-point-listed replacement screen at all. Although I never felt the need for side cases for the ‘wing at least they were available at reasonable cost. Good luck in your hunt for a set.

My next upgrade will likely be the Kaoko throttle control which I found on the ‘wing to be great for relief from grip-spasm on long trips.

May we always keep the plastic and the soft pink bits off the scratchy stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Grample View Post
    ....My next upgrade will likely be the Kaoko throttle control which I found on the ‘wing to be great for relief from grip-spasm on long trips.....
    dukdukman has tried the Excel product. The knob looks like it might be easier than the Kaoko. New product here in the US though, so maybe not available in the UK yet.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 108
Size:  12.8 KB
    Last edited by SteveADV; 04-04-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveADV View Post
    dukdukman has tried the Excel product. The knob looks like it might be easier than the Kaoko. New product here in the US though, so maybe not available in the UK yet.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 108
Size:  12.8 KB
    shouldn't be a problem. Not available at all in Australia, but if you speak to the bloke - Tom - he psoted mine to downunder. I might be the first Australian user .....
    Axel in Australia
    Life is short - so don’t be a dick!
    http://axelhleo.wordpress.com

Hello, newbie here, owned many motorcycles and scooters...New to the 2014 BMW C650GT world. Have a bum knee and it brought my this way. Rode the scooter from Atlanta to Raleigh NC yesterday. 400 miles, day 1. My butt is soar, but safe. Things I learned on the ride...thing does 80MPH no problem, sometimes more...great wind protection, need a better seat, NOISY motor... I do like it, VS. others on the market. Just thought the motor would be more refined. My Suzuki Burgman 650 was a lot quieter, but not a nice looking. I will be chatting along the way here. Thanks

Hey Paul,

Glad you're here. Yup, the engine noise is a little loud compared to some bikes but powerful (as you found out on your trip home). I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. Thoughts on the bike from new owners is especially welcome, so keep us up to speed on your thoughts.

Hi everyone, I am a newly endorsed rider and just got a C 650 GT last weekend. My eventual goal is to tackle the Victory Vision sitting in the garage but it'll take me some time to work up to it what with the shifting and stuff. My husband has been working with me and this morning I made a short ride that included freeways and parking lots and construction, so I feel semi-accomplished now. I look forward to learning about the bike with you all!

Welcome ... You own an awesome, all-purpose, bike ... enjoy!
    2016 C650 GT in Custom Ruby Red Metallic CC