Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headlight burned out?

Headlight burned out?

C600 Sport, less than 1K miles: I start my scooter and the indicator on the dash says that my headlight is out. I confirm this visually and sure enough - no headlight. I contact my awesome dealer and they say that they will add a headlight bulb change to my initial service.
    The next time I start my scooter, no indication as before and the headlight works just fine. I've ridden it a couple times since and still no repeat.

Gremlins?
    Love what you do, do what you love. Life is short!

Definitely weird; I had mine go out around 7,500 miles. Kind of a pain to replace but fortunately my arms are long enough and my hands small enough to do it without taking half the bike apart.

Bulb not properly seated in the socket? I've seen stranger things...
    Jaime A. Cruz
    Nassau Wings Motorcycle Club
    http://www.nassauwings.org
    http://www.freddysrun.org

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Tee Jay View Post
    C600 Sport, less than 1K miles: I start my scooter and the indicator on the dash says that my headlight is out. I confirm this visually and sure enough - no headlight. I contact my awesome dealer and they say that they will add a headlight bulb change to my initial service.
    The next time I start my scooter, no indication as before and the headlight works just fine. I've ridden it a couple times since and still no repeat.

Gremlins?
    Could be a short. I've had that happen on my Vespa. Light out, then hit a pothole and light back on. Found out the socket had melted a bit and caused a short and light would come on and off with vibrations. I've also seen the same on car headlights. It will probably go out permanently soon.

Got it figured out. About 50% of the time when I start my Sport, the low beam doesn't work. But if I cycle the ignition and try it again, all is well.

And I always thought that leaving the headlights ON was hard on the battery - ha!

My dealer sent a request to corporate and has received a troubleshooting guide to assist in resolving this issue. I will see if I can obtain that data so that we might all share in their wisdom.
    I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the head of BMW engineering shouldn't take a trip to Japan!

UPDATE
    I have only had the low beam headlight fail to come on once in the past 100+ starts and again, cycle the ignition and it works fine.
    I told my dealer that, having been an electronics technician all my life, I understand how difficult it is to troubleshoot something that is intermittent. "We" will keep an eye on the problem - and at least it is documented.

I realize the current configuration is standard fare with many bikes, but, personally I would prefer two on low beam with high beams from both. TJ, since you are in the middle of this headlight thing and know a thing or two about the electronics, have you thought about two low/two high and if so how involved do you think?

Just had my second low-beam headlamp go out at 12k miles (first replaced at 7,500 miles). I've replaced the lamp on my BV250 one time in 31k miles! Am I cursed?!?

What brand are the bulbs, Osrams?