Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Larger windscreen for C650GT

Can anybody else chime in on this? Is it possible to raise the original screen by a software update?

Quote Originally Posted by henryd View Post
    Can anybody else chime in on this? Is it possible to raise the original screen by a software update?
    I recently had my 2016 Scoot in for service and they (BMW) did a software update, no change to the screen height.
    I then installed the Givi screen, and all is good now. I am 6ft4" and the Givi screen is more than adequate. It came with separate hand wind deflectors too, but since the screen has hand wind deflectors already, I find I dont need them. Maybe when the fall comes and the temp drops.

Cheers!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by henryd View Post
    It's not a software update but they can set the upper and lower limits of the screen via the diagnostics tool. In my case the upper limit when originally set up wasn't the upper limit that the mechanism was capable of.

I have the tall Aeroflow, and..im going to have to modify at least one hole.

With one side located (not tight) I can just barely spread the screen curve, and the top two on one wide will fit, but not the bottom.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/3s629k

Im guessing that this is because holes are put in the plastic before they are shaped, which is also what makes the holes slightly oval shaped as well..and IMHO, this leads to a lot of unplanned stretching and deformation that cant be accounted for on a flat drawing.

The right way would be, IMHO, machining holes on a jig _after_ shaping the material.

But that's just me.
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT

You might consider sending it back - maybe they made a manufacturing error, or their design doesn't account for some late-model design change by BMW. If you think reforming the screen will help, put it in your oven at about 250 degrees on a piece of cardboard and you'll be able to alter the curvature.

Too big for oven..and yes, its clear that the holes from a flat piece, to a curved piece...do not flow to the RIGHT horizontal locations.

They right way to do this, that they are not doing, is the form that they heat mold to, should have plugs for the holes to have to meet by expanding the plastic in, not expecting the acrylic to magically flow -to-.

Or, just form it, then drill the holes.

I dremeled mine, it's fine now.
    San Jose, CA
    2018 White 650GT