Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: battery charging through accessory connection

Quote Originally Posted by markradtke17 View Post
    Can anyone respond with the source for where I can purchase the correct adapter for the outlet in the left hand compartment. I have an adapter from battery tender that does fit the cigarette lighter sized outlet......however, it does not work. Where can I purchase the correct adapter?
    Thank you,
    It's a standard cigarette port as you mentioned and I found no problem using cell cables with the male end from my car. If you have inserted straight in until it stops I suspect your accessory cord may be faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin J Monteith View Post
    It's a standard cigarette port as you mentioned and I found no problem using cell cables with the male end from my car. If you have inserted straight in until it stops I suspect your accessory cord may be faulty.
    I bought an Optimate accessory cable that has both a cigarette male end as well as the smaller euro end by using its adaptor.

Ok. So I guess I need a battery tender. Went out today and the bike wouldn't start after sitting for a week without riding.

The question I have is what type charger do I actually get?

This will go into the 12v plug in the left side: Cigarette Lighter Adaptor

But what do I connect it to? Motorcycle

Thanks.
    2013 C600 Sport (gone)
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    Ducati Sixty2

Quote Originally Posted by grey.hound View Post
    Ok. So I guess I need a battery tender. Went out today and the bike wouldn't start after sitting for a week without riding.

The question I have is what type charger do I actually get?

This will go into the 12v plug in the left side: Cigarette Lighter Adaptor

But what do I connect it to? Motorcycle

Thanks.
    Are you 100% sure you don't have a cable hanging down at the front just below the right side panel? Most dealers want the easy way in the showroom and install a cable that costs probably a buck and time is too precious for them to take it out when the sell the bike. Cheaper than using the accessory socket for them.

Checked and didn't find anything that looked like a tender connection.

Did find this in my garage though

Will it work if I buy the 12v adaptor?
    2013 C600 Sport (gone)
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    Ducati Sixty2

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeC View Post
    That outlet is NOT switched, it's always "hot." I know this because I leave my phone in there to charge up overnight while I'm sleeping in the tent and it works.

However, I had a second socket installed that utilizes the standard BMW plug on the handlebar housing. That way I can plug in an electric vest in the winter. That socket is also not switched, so I use that one when I plug in the battery tender.
    I do much the same on my GT. I have Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves so installed a coaxial socket on the handlebar housing along with a slot on top of the housing so I can clip my Gerbing dual controller on the left side of the handlebar and plug it into the socket right by the controller. A lead goes from the controller to my jacket liner. Works great, the temp control knobs are handy and the indicator lights showing heat level easy to see. Just takes a couple seconds to install or put back in the glove box. Heated gloves with the heating wires on the back of your hands along with heated grips for the palm side are just plain luxury in cold weather.
    2013 C650GT 1994 K1100LT

My 2014 GT does not have power to the left compartment all the time it is only hot when the key is on. This does not seem to jive with what other people are saying on the form. I have all the two accessory ports. the one in the center of the steering under the cover and the one above the front tire but where do I buy an adapter that plugs into that type of cord fitting. Are these electrical tales unique to BMW only or are they at common motorcycle use electrical hook up
    Last edited by Sparkrn; 05-21-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeC View Post
    That outlet is NOT switched, it's always "hot." I know this because I leave my phone in there to charge up overnight while I'm sleeping in the tent and it works.

However, I had a second socket installed that utilizes the standard BMW plug on the handlebar housing. That way I can plug in an electric vest in the winter. That socket is also not switched, so I use that one when I plug in the battery tender.
    My 2014 c650GT scoot outlet is not hot when the ignition switch is off! Can I change it?

Yes, what do you want to power with it?

not on mine dead until ignition on