Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: battery charging through accessory connection

battery charging through accessory connection

Please excuse what is probably a bit of a rookie/newbie question. Can you charge a battery through the standard accessory port/socket if you have made it live instead of switched? Just trying to think of the easiest way to go without removing panels etc.

You can charge the battery through the outlet in the left hand compartment you just need the right adapter for the outlet and plug in your battery tender
    AKA Bill Steele

Don't go bigger than a trickle charger, or you could make a crispy wire!!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteele View Post
    You can charge the battery through the outlet in the left hand compartment you just need the right adapter for the outlet and plug in your battery tender
    I am correct though am I not in saying you have to make it a live rather than switched assuming it's to be charged without ignition on?

charging

Quote Originally Posted by Colin J Monteith View Post
    I am correct though am I not in saying you have to make it a live rather than switched assuming it's to be charged without ignition on?
    I don't remember if that outlet is switched, and I don't use it. I ran a separate fused and manually switched circuit to my handle bars. This circuit powers my AM FM radio, GPS, heated clothing, and provides a path for charging the battery.

That outlet is NOT switched, it's always "hot." I know this because I leave my phone in there to charge up overnight while I'm sleeping in the tent and it works.

However, I had a second socket installed that utilizes the standard BMW plug on the handlebar housing. That way I can plug in an electric vest in the winter. That socket is also not switched, so I use that one when I plug in the battery tender.
    Last edited by JaimeC; 02-28-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Jaime A. Cruz
    Nassau Wings Motorcycle Club
    http://www.nassauwings.org
    http://www.freddysrun.org

none of the power outlets on the scoots run through canbus switching, they are always live.
    2012 G650 GS
    2007 vespa GTV125

Does the scoot canbus have any spare connections?

I've been wondering if dealers install the battery tender accessory for their own purposes here in Cali or what? My friend got a GT from A&S in California. The battery tender accessory end was pulled through the left side and sort of hanging there. They pushed it back through at his request so it is accessible above the front tire by the "T" looking bracket. I was bored and looking up with a flashlight to the same area under the front faring of my own bike and ..... there was the same connector. It looks like the same battery tender connector and its zip tied on the side of the "T" looking bracket/bar.

I'm gonna call the dealer but it made me wonder whether it is for something else or is it just the dealer installed it to keep the battery charged during the loooooonnnnng showroom time.

Does anyone else have this accessory end in the same area?
    Last edited by TwoPort; 03-01-2015 at 07:50 PM.
    There's nothing like looking when you're trying to find something.
    - The Gaffer

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPort View Post
    I've been wondering if dealers install the battery tender accessory for their own purposes here in Cali or what? My friend got a GT from A&S in California. The battery tender accessory end was pulled through the left side and sort of hanging there. They pushed it back through at his request so it is accessible above the front tire by the "T" looking bracket. I was bored and looking up with a flashlight to the same area under the front faring of my own bike and ..... there was the same connector. It looks like the same battery tender connector and its zip tied on the side of the "T" looking bracket/bar.

I'm gonna call the dealer but it made me wonder whether it is for something else or is it just the dealer installed it to keep the battery charged during the loooooonnnnng showroom time.

Does anyone else have this accessory end in the same area?
    It's probably cheaper to just install for showroom bikes and leave on. I doubt the cost is any more than $5 and in their world it would cost that at least to remove again.